What is it? C

Another set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob

#575 Wand from static shock machine? #577 A very old toaster #580 Large tongs for stretching canvas
Stuart Pearson

575: Some kind of medical instrument. Maybe some UV-comb or the like. The made weird things at that time. 577: A toaster ("Shiny like a toaster") 578: Hardness-tester (by Rockwell) 580: For bending thin sheet metal. Roofing usage
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

#576 is a tsuba from a Japanese sword
#577 is a toaster for bread.
R.H. wrote:

575: electro-stim wand 576: I was thinking it was a decorative cover for the hole in a wood stove, but I'm going with katana tsuba 577: toaster 578: Rockwell hardness meter (tests hardness of metal) 579: patch jag for the end of a cleaning rod (firearm barrel cleaning) 580: tongs for bending sheet glass?
--
Sandy

Yup, probably about .30 cal or slightly larger -Bruce

575: Not a clue
576: Escutcheon
577: Toaster. I used to have one like it.
578: Lacking a clue here, too.
579: Plumb bob?
580: Brake for bending metal?

575. my guess would be part of some kind of old fashioned hokey electric neon "health massage" device. 576. japanese sword guard. looks like it's made out of iron. i can't figure out what the design is supposed to be. looks like two fronds from a plant of some sort but can't figure out what. looks like there are two spaces for some parts that are missing. (bezel(s) for gemstones or other material?) 577. electric toaster (when i was a kid (~1969) my grandmother was still using hers) (bakelite handles missing?) 578. no idea but "rockwell" makes me think it's some kind of hardness tester. no idea how it'd be used. 579. no idea but my guess is it's some kind of wood-to-metal fastener. (actually from the photo i can't even really tell if the close end is threaded.) 580. with those long tong handles i would've thought it's some kind of blacksmith's tool. need to keep your hands away from the heat. no idea though what it's used for though.

#575 For analytical chemistry? #576 Lock escuscion(sp?)? #577 Toaster #578 Rockwell hardness gauge #579 ? #580 Tongs for metal working?
R.H. wrote:

572 Sprue cutter for castings 573 lawn de-thatcher/aerator
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:35:16 +0000, R.H. wrote:

575: I'm going with HV gas discharge tube for questionable medical purposes - I saw several very much like this at "The Museum of Questionable Medical Devices" in Minneapolis, before it closed. I've tried searching their website, but don't see it. The device is filled with rarefied gas, and the HV supply goes to that metal cap, and it lights up like a neon lamp, tingles a little where the fingers are dragged over the skin, and makes ozone. ;-)
And everybody got 577 the toaster and 578 the Rockwell tester. )-;
The 580 tongs I'm guessing are for hot sheet metal.
Cheers! Rich
"Rich Grise" wrote: (clip)The 580 tongs I'm guessing are for hot sheet metal. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The same thought passed through my mind. The style and construction of those tongs says "blacksmith." The width says "sheet metal." A piece of sheet metal the width of those tongs would be too stiff to bend cold, so we come to hot sheet metal. But nothing in a blacksmith shop would heat a piece of sheet metal that wide uniformly, so there must be more to the story.
They're seaming tongs for closing the joints on standing seam roofs.
Paul K. Dickman

I think the tongs are for quenching thin stock such as a knife blade so that it does not twist.

Oh, man... Is there any way to buy them out?
Seriously. Contact info? Anyone from the Twin Cities that can help?
--
Boycott Google for their support of communist censorship and repression!

Dave Balderstone wrote:
<snipped>

What's a Google? All I ever use in Altavista...
Pete C.
Pete C. wrote:

Google is the best browser on the net. And screw the politics. If you want to be able to find stuff fast and rather completely Google is the software to use. Their preeminence in the browser market is no accident.
Bob Kolker
The Robert J. Kolker entity posted thusly:

Google has a browser out? More info, please.

It's such a good search engine that people are using Google as their home page - and it's a small step for newbies to start equating their home page with their browser.
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere