What is it? Set 266

Another set of photos has been posted to the site:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
1507 It looks too awkward to be a conductor's fare collection box, and the most probable way to open it is to just lift the lid on the right. I'll guess that this is a vote collection box. People voting put a token (yea/nay) in the slot, and the vote collection official pushes the button. At the end of the vote, open and count. There was a very nice vote collection box here a couple of years ago.

1508 Wine bottle cork remover. Ram the needle through the cork, and pump to build up pressure to extract the cork.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1509. Pry bar for moving heavy containers.

1511. Speedloader for a revolver.

Reply to
ff

1509 Railroad Car Mover

Howard R Garner

I can attest to the fact that these should not be used on some bottles - I specifically remember a flattened bottle of something expensive in the after-dinner category, a messy cleanup job and a glass shard that found its way into my foot a few days later.. /mark

Reply to
Mark F

How does it work? You jam it under the wheel and lift?

And how did you ever find THAT!? I'm impressed!

--riverman

Reply to
humunculus

Here goes my guesses!

1507 no clue 1508 pump for inflating basketballs, volley balls, etc. 1509 Nail puller??? 1510 It will squeeze and hold whatever. For squeezing oranges? 1511 Quick reloader for a revolver. In use, the 6 clips have cartridges in them, the loop is for your finger to hold the clip while shooting. 1512 Clamp for pipe style antenna mast

Now to see what the real answers are

Rob H. wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Without having looked at anybody else's answers:

1507. Coin-operated device for something. Or is it just a coinbox for, say, a ticket-taker?

1508. Obviously another dentist's torture device.

1510. A device to crush something, but it looks much too big for nuts or ice.

1511. Ring for holding something

Reply to
Ted Schuerzinger

"humunculus" wrote: How does it work? You jam it under the wheel and lift? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You jam it under the sheel and push down. There is a simpler kind, without the moving parts, where you lift.

1510 looks like it could be clamped onto the bottom of a wooden post, to keep it from sinking into the ground.

1511is a 6 candlepower lamp ;-)

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

They've been around for a long time and in different flavors. The following link is from a Railway Supply Catalog (1914):

or

Leon Fisk

Hey...I believe I actually know one this week!

1507 - fare collection box for public transportation, sort of a predecessor of the vaguely blender-like thingy usually seen at the front of city busses in more recent times.

1508 - Inflator for footballs, basketballs, etc. Doesn't look particularly convenient to use, with the ball likely interfering with the operation of the pump cylinder and, I'd think, the needle being rather liable to bend or break from applied torque and shear. I have no idea why they didn't use the usual inline design.

1509 - Lever for pulling pipe or drill rods out of the ground

1510 - Clamp to hold...something...while working on it. Maybe for shaping axe handles?

1511 - It's one of those things that you find in a dark corner of a toolbox but never knew what it did.

1512 - Yet another cable clamp design, possibly for telephone pole guy wires.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

Don't know how Rob found it, but I've seen them iub use. Hung around a small rail yard in my youth.

How it's used - put it on the rail, slide up against the wheel, push the bar down, the small shoe comes up and rolls the wheel, thus moving the car.

Reply to
Nahmie

"ff" wrote in news:6ll9l.10688$D32.758 @flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

Looks like an earlier incarnation of the Maxfire:

What's the spring at the ring attachment for, though?

Reply to
Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH

Old railroad fan. Knew what it was at first sight, just took a little to find the link. As a youg teen back inthe 50's I move a few cars with one. (not that they needed to be moved) You place it under the wheel and push down. Then the leverage helps.

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

The spring prevents carpal-tunnel syndrome.

Reply to
ff

The spine on the back of the loader is a hinge and the spring keeps it in the position shown, if I remember correctly it rotated about 30 degrees, but I don't know why this was necessary.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Most speedloaders have a means to keep the cartridges locked in the loader until you want them to come out . The spring is probably part of that mechanism . -- Snag every answer leads to another question

Reply to
Terry Coombs

1512: Depth stop for an auger bit. The angled U bolt fits into the flute of the bit.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

I just found the patent for it, where it says the clip can be folded in order to put it in a sheath, when removed the spring will force it back into the normal position. When I handled the clip I gave it a quick flex or two but didn't try to rotate it very much, as seen in the patent, it was meant to be rotated so that the leaves are back to back with the bullets pointing in opposite directions:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

1507: Coin box... maybe for a bus? 1508: Right-angle syringe 1509: Shuffleboard pusher variant 1510: Manual animal trap-- you had to catch the animal and wrap this thing around its leg by hand. Or perhaps human torture device 1511: Speedloader for a revolver 1512: Corner mast clamp
Reply to
Matthew Russotto