What is it? Set 379

Yet another set of items has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

For the third week, I have no useful guesses. While 2185 is some kind of automobile accessory lamp, but I have no useful guess about its specific function.

So why am I posting this? When I saw 2188, I burst out laughing. Many years ago, I saw a cartoon. I don't remember where, possibly the New Yorker. I also don't remember the cartoonist, but it was someone well-known. Possibly Larsen or Chas Addams. The cartoon was of a Dog Carrier. I think that was the caption. A guy was carrying a dog, by a handle, with a hook in the dog's mouth and a screw clamp stuck in the other end. Exactly like the top two things in the picture.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2185. Mechanic's or motorist's lamp powered off the cigarette lighter socket.
Reply to
Dave Baker

2188 early cat carrier
David Billington

2185: an auto trouble lamp you plug it into the parking lamp socket
Reply to
George W Frost

"George W Frost" fired this volley in news:QG3ep.12399$ snipped-for-privacy@viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com:

Or the cigar lighter hole...

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

2183 is actually a fly box for holding a fisherman's "wet" flies, not "dry flies" as the mechanism would smash the hackle on dry flies. Wet flies are flat.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

2189 Maybe a gas stove burner
Reply to
Ralph

It appears to be some kind of gas burner, but may not be for a cook stove. It looks like the air intake manifold is designed to hook up to piping to bring in combustion air from some distance. The pictures are pretty lousy so its is hard to tell.

-jim

Reply to
jim

2186-- for baling hay???

Bill

Reply to
Bill

2185: Trouble light used in older multi-engined aircraft. Think WWII era.
Reply to
Roger

While looking at that, I noticed 2187. 7. Shoot - that one's easy... that's a tooth brush for them wimin up in Kanukistan...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Generally correct

Sounds like a good use for it!

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope, if you look closely at the patent seen in the photo you can see it's for use with something smaller than a hay bale.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct, I was told it was for use by an auto mechanic and that it was plugged into a light socket. I had asked him if you could plug it into the cigarette lighter but he said it was used before cars had lighters in them. Don't know when cars first got lighters and if that is true or not. I'm sure it could have been used on airplanes as someone else suggested.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Looks like you're right, half way down the page at the link below I found this quote:

"Individual dry fly compartments each has its own spring-loaded window. Wet fly Clips will not rust."

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I thought about this one til it hurt! : )

2187 -- A key???

Bill

Reply to
Bill

2185 Car Drop light plug into cigarette lighter

2186 Hay bailer

2187 Pasta spoon

2188 Clamp

2189 welded Art

2190 Sword medallion

Reply to
Robert

Could be Lloyd, but it appears there is a lug on the side of the plug, therefore, I do not think it would be suitable for a cigarette lighter socket

Reply to
George W Frost

This one came in a leather pouch and could be described as a tool, the hole has a sharp edge on the inside.

Reply to
Rob H.