What is it? Set 378

I need some help figuring out two of them this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2179 2180 2181 - Aerator or plant starter? 2182 2183 - sample holder 2184 - Aviati> I need some help figuring out two of them this week:
Reply to
Michael Kenefick

Michael Kenefick fired this volley in news:O6Lbp.4457 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.iad:

Nah.... it's a fly case for a fly fisherman.

2181 looks a lot like a primitive fiber comb, like for teasing out flax or raffia, but the handles suggest it was thrust down onto the object, rather than the object being thrown against it.

It might be a tool for moving/sliding something big and fluffy that has nowhere to grip, like a bale of some fiber goods.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Guesses

2179 - Drain pipe cleanout tool and/or root cutter?

2180 - Early model of a physician's reflex hammer (rubber tire missing)?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Correct, it's for storing flies.

Reply to
Rob H.

Not exactly correct but you're not far off.

If you click the link under the photo you will see close-ups of the end which show it to be a small container with a retractable lid.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2183 -- Dry-fly tin, for fishing flies. (Wet-fly tins are thinner). This one looks like it's from the early '50s. I have one just like it and still use it.
Reply to
Ed Huntress
2182: A manual can-opener. Heavy duty.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

2179

2180

2181 Lawn aerator

2182 lineman pliers

2183 Fly Box

2184 navigation measuring tool

Robert

Reply to
Robert

"Rob H." skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com...

2182 Used by customs authorities when they lock down goods?
Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen
2181: Dibble board
Kent Walker

I don't know if it's specifically for aviation, but you have the right idea in that it's for measuring distance on a map. Someone sent the photo to me from Europe, haven't been able to find another one like it on the web.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2179 -

2180 -

2181 - Looks like a seed bed prep tool. Press it into the soft soil and you have nice even rows to drop a seed in. Makes transplanting MUCH easier. I use something similar in my greenhouse.

2182 -

2183 - Fly box for fisherman

2184 - Looks like a map scale.

Reply to
Steve W.

I need some help figuring out two of them this week:

Rob

2180 is a watchmakers blueing pan.

2183 is a box for holding fishing flies.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve

2179 wood stove pipe cleaner or sewerage pipe reamer 2181 lawn aerator
Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

This answer is correct.

Still uncertain about the two unidentified tools, some of the suggestions for them sound good but I haven't been able to find proof for them. The answers for the rest of them can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Sounds like a good use for it, my only reservation is that it might be a little small for that but I still like this idea.

Reply to
Rob H.

Is that felt (or some other fabric) on the back of the brass disk? That would probably prevent it from being used at any high temperature. Additionally, I think bluing solutions would eat up the brass. There doesn't appear to be any staining to indicate it was used for this. One thin I notice is that all of the screws are plain slotted style, not Phillips.

Reply to
lektric dan

I just heard back from the owner of it and they said that "the dark surface is just aged brass patina".

I'm not convinced that it's a bluing pan, though I think that someone made it for heating something. It's probably a one off, and if that's the case then it's almost impossible to guess the exact purpose that the person had in mind.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Sounds like a good use for it, my only reservation is that it might be a little small for that but I still like this idea.

They are small! mine was made from an old mainspring drum from a large pocket watch.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve