What is it? Set 404

I need some help with two of the items this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2335 - Photo contact printer

2336 - Ice fishing spear

2337 - Meat Tenderizer

2339 - Fertilizer (or lime) spreader

Reply to
joeljcarver

2335: Contact printing box (photography)

2336: Pickle fork for very big pickles in very deep jars. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

2335

Contact printer for old syle pictures looks homemade.

Reply to
Markem

2337 something to do with cheese production.
Reply to
Dennis

2340 sure looks like a feeder- corn cobs?

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

2335 - Used for making contact/proof prints.

2336 -

2337 - Could be a meat tenderizer

2338 -

2339 - Looks like a feed mill funnel

2340 - old version of a live trap?

Reply to
Steve W.

2340- fish trap

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

2336. Looks like a fairly normal long handled weeding fork so you can weed deep borders without having to stand in them. 2339. Maybe for separating corn and chaff.

2340. Looks like it's designed to let something in but not back out. Laid on its side it could therefore be an animal trap.

Reply to
Dave Baker
2340 - vintage floating turtle trap

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny
2338 (just) has to be a jig for helping to make chairs.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

2337: For working with (moving/loading?) bales of cotton? The spring which evidently helps provide self-cleaning looks like a nice feature!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'd diving in a bit early for me on this one.

2335) This one I am *sure* about, and would once like to have owned one.

A contact printer for large negatives. (I'm not sure whether this one will handle 5x7" negatives, but at least 4x5" ones. Looks like 4x5", based on the scale which is actually calibrated in half-inches to allow a centered size. It can also be used for smaller negatives, though contacts for 35mm negatives are rather unsatisfying. :-) 2-1/4x3-1/2" is reasonable. the 2-1/4x1-7/8" ones which came from one of my early cameras were marginal as contact prints.

You place the negative on the glass, emulsion side up.

You adjust the vanes to crop it to the part of the image you want.

You place the photographic paper (which is insensitive to red light over the negative.) (Actually, later Pollycontrast papers were a bit sensitive to the red light, but this predates the Pollycontrast papers by quite a bit.)

You close the lid, and count off the seconds (Ideally, you would have it plugged into a darkroom timer, which would allow you to switch it full on for the setup, turn it off, and then to run a timed exposure with the white light to expose the photo paper.)

Then you open it, take the paper, and put it in the series of processing chemicals, wash it, and dry it (usually emulsion down on a ferrotype plate to give a glossy finish).

2336) No devils around? :-) (But the wood handle would not last too long in that environment. :-)

At a guess -- for unclogging sewer drains and the like, or for breaking up compacting manure.

2337) Looks like it could be used to grip a surface on something like a bale of hay, to slide it around.

2338) Perhaps for sliding a sawn out block of ice on the pond to get it to an insulated storage shed until the summer when it is wanted.

2339) If it were on wheels, I would think that it was for sowing seeds. They would pour out of the funnel, get a spin from the cone and vanes in the lower part, and form a fairly wide fan of seed onto the ground.

However, in the stationary position, perhaps it is part of a setup to separate wheat and chaff. The heavier wheat would go out to a ring container, and the chaff might fall straight down.

Seeing the underside of the lower part could help to tell.

2340) Perhaps for composting leaves? The fingers at the top would keep the leaves from blowing out the top during strong winds.

Or perhaps something to do with grain -- especially since it appears to be beside the previous item.

Now to post, and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Looks like this is correct, thanks to everyone who answered it.

Reply to
Rob H.

Nailed it.

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer, that's what the tag on it said that it was.

Reply to
Rob H.

I didn't take any photos of it directly, I noticed it in my photo since it was next to the fish trap, so I don't have any other views of it. There's a tag on it that might give the answer but I didn't pay much attention to it since I was focused on the trap.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2335: a contact printer - makes prints the same size as the negative, but this one has masking blades so you can crop the negative

2336: a clam rake?

2337: meat tenderizer

2338 (?)

2339: a seed broadcaster? Perhaps a motor or air turbine spins the lower part...

2340: Lobster pot, or crab pot (not really a trap, this would just be a storage bin with the aquatic equivalent of ventilation)

Reply to
whit3rd

I need some help with two of the items this week:

Rob

2335 is a contact printer for large format sheet film. The red light is a safelight. Mine is a but different, but the same principle.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve

2336: The top one resembles a shingle removal tool. I wonder if the bottom one was for cedar shingles.
Reply to
J Burns