What is it? Set 391

I need some help with two of them this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2259: Sort of a physics toy. It's to demonstrate density or something; when you turn it over the two floating hourglasses switch positions.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

2262: They were all used in space?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

2260: Obviously a scrubber of some kind, so I suppose the question is probably, "What was it used on?" I guess I'd say either floor tile or calluses. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rob

2257 a) Used to treat people with tunnel vision b) An early style of rose coloured glasses

2260 Back scrubber used in a Japanese bath house

Reply to
Stephen Quinn

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2259: In the US, alcohol content of liquor must be within 0.15% of what the label says. If one of the floats is set for the upper limit and the other for the lower limit, then if one sinks and one floats, the liquor passes the test. Well, that's my guess...
Reply to
J Burns

2258 Soap mould?

2259 'Viscosity' demonstrator?

2260 Scrubber pad?

2261 Coat button?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

2261

end button on wire item e.g. our 1970's vintage metal (painted blue) clothes horse there's a bent wire that holds the horse open, with another piece that is "flippable" to allow the horse to be stowed.

I'd post a picture but a) where? and b) SHMBO has the camera!

Reply to
Esra Sdrawkcab

2257. Glasses to strengthen "lazy eyes" (amblyopia) by forcing the eye(s) to look through the center? 2258. Bearing or watch press? 2259. Physics toy/puzzle. Turn it over and the hourglasses switch positions, but only after the sand runs out of the hourglasses. The puzzle is to explain why they do not change positions immediately. Answer (Rot13): Gur fnaq va gur hccre unys gvcf gur ubhetynffrf, pnhfvat gurz gb fgnl va cynpr guebhtu sevpgvba jvgu gur ghor fvqrf. 2260. Scrubbing pad for use in the bath? 2261. Decorative "snap on" button?

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.
2257: old shooter's glasses -- clear center part lets the shooter see the sights while the ground glass surround prevents distraction and amber color improves contrast.
Reply to
Northe

No, I've always left the followup header alone; I've always just assumed that the topic would be of interest to other people who peruse the NG.

You're the first one to complain about it in the few years I've been following the topic.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

#2257 Early foggles for IFR training? #2260 Could be a loufa holder for the shower, or maybe an ink blotter. #2261 Decorative furniture button

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Good guess!

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, most people have guessed that it's a polisher, buffer, or scrubber but I haven't been able to find out exactly for what.

Reply to
Rob H.

Sounds like a good possibility, I think it's a mold of some sort but can't get more specific.

Nope

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct, this is the answer that I was looking for, although in the comments on the web site someone said it's a Newton's Gravity Sand Timer, I found some of these on the web and they are described as an hourglass that floats in water, with no mention of the puzzle. To me the most interesting part of the device is the puzzle of the delay in movement, seems odd that they don't mention it and only market the item as a decorative hourglass.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

The first link isn't working for me right now but that's the link I was planning to use in my answer, he has a good video demo there.

Your post was only sent to the metalworking newsgroup, when replying to Rich's posts, for some reason they only get addressed to r.c.m., you have add the other two groups if you want to reply to all three, not sure why his account does this.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I just checked (in fact, on this post) and it says "Followups-to" r.c.m; I can fix that by either deleting it or copy/pasting my "Groups" thing to "followups." (r.c.m,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking).

I just hadn't been paying attention, sorry. A lot of times I'll catch a post on rec.puzzles, but I haven't looked at the followups over there yet.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Thanks! Does this mean I got one right this week? ;-D

(I mean, "Good guess" doesn't necessarily mean, "RIGHT!", like on "Family Feud," they're always saying "Good Answer!" but bzzzzt!) ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise