What percentage of machinists are conservative?

Generally, occupations, where the final arbiter of truth is aesthetics, are dominated by liberals. Generally, occupations, where the final arbiter of truth is replicable measurements, are dominated by conservatives.

I would assume that most dance choreographers are liberal. I would assume that most machinists are conservative.

But here on rec.crafts.metalworking, I am reading some posts by liberals who are interested in metalworking. What gives here? Are liberals just looking for forums to argue?

Reply to
clarkmagnuson

I think the real question is why people who supposedly can think would ever be ideologically conservative or liberal? Or, especially, libertarian? d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Or do you exemplify the fact that fundamentalist thinkers, whether liberal or conservative, tend to oversimplify issues in their rush to feel superior to everyone else?

When I'm with my conservative buddies I'm a wimpy bleeding heart dangerous liberal.

When I'm with my liberal buddies I'm a knife-in-the-teeth, ranting, dangerous conservative.

From which I conclude two things:

(A) I'm balanced. (B) They're not.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

You are an ignorant person who assumes, apparently.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Self-confidence

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I would assume that your assumptions are incorrect.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Self-delusion.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Generally, occupations, where the final arbiter of truth is aesthetics, are dominated by liberals. Generally, occupations, where the final arbiter of truth is replicable measurements, are dominated by conservatives.

I would assume that most dance choreographers are liberal. I would assume that most machinists are conservative.

But here on rec.crafts.metalworking, I am reading some posts by liberals who are interested in metalworking. What gives here? Are liberals just looking for forums to argue?

What gives here? You're reading posts from some liberals who are interested in metalworking. What's so weird about that?

I'm suspecting that you're disingenuously trying to stir up some trouble by trolling while trying not to look like you are.

Best regards, Tom who happens to be liberal, is interested in metalworking, and whose machinery doesn't give a damn about my politics (why do you?)

Reply to
Tom Dacon

The socially pernicious self-delusion of liberals is denying that others can acquire the life skills and self reliance which they haven't bothered to learn.

I read an analysis of the demographics of reality show viewers which observed that conservatives like Dancing With the Stars etc because it shows the contestants succeeding by their own efforts, while liberals preferred to feel superior to dysfunctional people.

Libertarians may have interesting parties ("I thought they said libertine party") but I can't agree with their conclusions.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

What in the world are you talking about?

Reply to
rangerssuck

Stereotypes are a powerful propaganda tool for warping minds. Even if most choreographers really are liberal, the propaganda comes from assigning importance to this with the implication that this says something about the manliness of the liberal view. The current right wing who propagate stuff like this are far more dangerous than the current left.

As for "replicable measurments", my occupation has mostly involved improving metrology for the semiconductor industry down to 0.001 nanometers (i.e. subatomic level) in some cases.

Reply to
anorton

I've never seen this show so I have no way to tell who would watch or why.

But I thought it had been established by the OP as a matter of empirical fact that dancers were all liberals.

Is that not so?

Reply to
jim

Rush says that most TV formats are shrinking, but football is growing. He attributes this to the fact that football is unscripted, and so cannot be liberal propaganda.

My favorite TV show is "The First 48", which has no liberal propaganda. I don't know how much longer the TV industry can tolerate that TV show without liberal propaganda every few seconds.

Reply to
clarkmagnuson

Oh, horse manure. To lean left or right is one thing; a product of one's attitudes, experiences, and so on, and part of the normal distribution of human thinking and behavior. But to be ideologically liberal or conservative is a kind of abdication of thinking about complexities in the world.

People adopt strong ideological stances as a compensation, a foil against a world that they find too confusing, frustrating, or threatening, unless they have an ideological shield to protect themselves from argument or the angst that those people feel as a result of uncertaintly. Adopting an ideological shield is their escape from uncertainty.

Once you have that shield around you, you can devote yourself to belittling and demonizing the other side, which further pumps up your own self-esteem and which allows you to dehumanize those who don't agree with you. You know what I'm talking about.

Watching Dancing With the Stars is a good indication that you're ready for bread and circuses. Republicans, if not conservatives (the distinction wasn't surveyed) are typically 20% - 25% more likely than Democrats to watch pro sports -- another passive activity that involves watching someone *else* do something while you sit on your ass.

That's a good sign.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

His new bong.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I would like to question Jim's assumption and ask him where did he get this idea, that liberals are not as self reliant.

I would, personally, think that anyone with enough brains to think about political questions, and arrive at a liberal, or some other well thought out worldview, would generally be sufficiently smart to be self reliant.

Though some would call me a liberal, I am personally, for example, able to take care of myself and my family and am quite self reliant, spending well below my income.

I often hear a stereotype that "liberals are mooches of society" and how "liberals are unable to take careof themselves" and so on.

Based on everything I know, such as this Pew report:

liberals are generally well to do as far as incomes are concerned.

I think that this stereotype of liberals being social leecges, was invented as an intimidation tool, so that people would be afraid to identify themselves as liberals.

Personally, I do not identify myself as being liberal, because my opinions come from analysis of issues, and not from ideology. My thoughts align with liberals or conservatives purely by accident and not because I source my opinions from a particular ideologue.

If anything, the median liberal is more affluent than a median "conservative".

This is perfectly explainable, since a large number of self identifying "social conservatives" are basically poor people.

Ignoramus23186

Or, as my brother says: "You need the nuts on both sides to know where the middle is".

Reply to
Brian Rosenthal

Woodworkers are liberal (Andy Rooney) -- nature'n'shit... Metalworkers are conservative -- 3,000 F smelting'n'shit....

Both, however, seem to have some bloodlust for game hunting, and mounting the heads in their reception areas. Whazzup wit dat?

We should be mounting the heads of our politicians and multi-national CEO's on the walls of our reception areas.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Although some of my friends might consider me a liberal, I have a mix of opinions, some that sound more liberal, some that sound more conservative. I certainly don't come here for political fodder, or to argue anything other than how best to make some kind of widget.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Having nuts on both sides applies to more than politics.

Reply to
etpm