Percentage of Lanthanated Tungstens and Consumeables list

I believe Ernie mentioned Lanthanated Tungstens as a good general purpose electrode. I'm just getting around to outfitting my 180SD. I plan on buying

1/16" tungstens and 3/32. Most of my work will be up to 1/8" steel and aluminum (going to give it a go) would also like the capability of welding stainless.

My question is what percentage of Lanthanated Tungsten to buy and what effect does more or less have on the weld?

If you were putting together a nice little consumeables parts box for this machine based on what I've said, what would you get?

Thanks in advance guys!

Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

SO far I have had the best luck with the 1.5% Lanthanated tungstens. The 2% ones I got do take greater heat, but the arc isn't as stable. It might be the quality of my tungstens.

1 box 1/16" , 1.5% Lanthanated tungstens 1 box 3/32" , 1.5% Lanthanated tungstens 1 box 1/8" , 1.5% Lanthanated tungstens

Gas Lens collet bodies, and collets in all 3 sizes.

4 or 5 #8 (1/2" i.d.) gas lens gas cups. Long, medium and short back caps.

If your torch is a #3 series then consider ordering a set of #4 gas lens collet bodies and collets from CK Worldwide.

#4 torch parts are a CK invention. They thread onto a #3 series torch, but are the size of #2 series parts, so the torch ends up much more compact.

The only downside to them is that you can't use a full length 7" tungsten with them. I wish they made a longer #3 series back cap to go along with the #4 parts.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Yo Ernie,

I have a 180SD as well, I really like my machine even after taking a course at MCC to get my TIG and MIG welding down and using their top of the line machines.

3/32 are good general use tungstens. I get my tungstens on EBAY as they're much cheaper than local. I have pure (Green) , thoriated (Red), and 2% lanthanated(Blue) tungstens depending on what I'm welding.

Thoriated and lanthanated work good on steel (need the heat!) and pure works good on aluminum.

As far as consumables I'd suggest.

Gas nozzels of different sizes.

Gas "lens" for better direction of gas onto project.

A few of each 3/32 electode (I've tried 1/16 and I prefer to use 3/32 for just about everything.)

New stainless brush for cleaning aluminum.(And NOTHING else!)

Various aluminum rods. 3/32 or 1/8" (Different types for different aluminum (ie sheet vs cast.) Various steel rods 1/16 or 3/32"

You may also want to get a rod slider. (Useful for aluminum to keep your hand out of heat.)

Baseball glove works good on hand with rod so you can "feel" the rod when you move it.

Auto-dark helmet is very useful for a beginner.

I visit Praxair on Broadway, West of Dobson for welding supplies and argon I need ASAP. Their counter guys are not knowledgable, but they have good prices and work with their customers. I had a bottle of Argon I purchased from them that was leaky and was gone in a week sitting under my bench. I took it back and then rolled out another bottle, asked me what kind of tungstens I like, (Thoriated,Thank you!) and gave me a 10 pack of

3/32 tungstens to cover my trouble of returning a bad tank. I also "upgraded" to a bigger Argon bottle the next time I came in and they only charged me the tank purchase difference between the bottles and normal Argon fill charge. (Phoenix welding is MUCH MORE expensive, lead you to believe that your not worth dealing with for such small tanks of gas, but can repair Miller and Lincoln equipment right here in town.)

I have alot of aluminum and steel scrap if you'd like to visit and give it a try. Just let me know when and I'll crank up the A/C in the garage and make sure I'm not out of Argon.

The MCC class was sure worth it. Instructor is tough but very fair. He wasn't happy with my welds until I could produce shiny clean, properly spaced welds on aluminum. I couldn't believe you can make such nice welds without a machine doind the welding until I did it. Looks like you polished them when done correctly!

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

480-345-7254

Check

for my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Marty Escarcega wrote:

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

Bart since we are "neighbors" and in the same club, I may well take you up on a visit. Would help the learning curve a teenee bit. I tried signing up at Mesa Community College last Spring. They filled up far before the semester started!

Will hook up with you soon. Thanks! Marty

PS. That Praxair is right up the street a couple blocks away, I do use them. I used to use Phoenix welding until they took over a month to rebuild a Victor regulator. I have a couple to have rebuilt and am going to try Praxair this go around.

"Bart D. Hull" wrote in news:40e5f90e$0$68095$ snipped-for-privacy@news.getnet.net:

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote in news:020720041021522427% snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com:

As usual, thanks again Ernie! Right now I have the Air cooled Diamond Back torch that came with the machine, but I also have a water cooled torch and a cooler that I have nearly all the parts for that I need to finish up, though I'm gun shy about welding the stainless seams on the tank. A good friend from the Chaski Home Machinist BBS had his brother- in-law bend it up for me.

Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

Me too!! One of the local suppliers was kind enough to comp me a short pack of 3/32", 1.5% Lanthanated Tungsten a while back. This has got to be the best thing since sliced bread! I have been welding some Alum. boxes up lately, Some of the welds are plug welds, ~3/8" holes in .030 hinge with .120 base metal behind it. With Pure Thor. and Zircinated it was difficult to get the base metal to puddle before melting the hinge away. With the Lan., I can sharpen it to a fine point to get much better control of the heat and start the puddle without having the hinge material run away from the heat. It is also nice to be able to use it for carbon and stainless as well, saves alot of time trying to dig up the "right" tungsten for different metals.

Regards, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

Marty, Try Brown's welding over on 60 a little west of the State Fairgrounds. I have had two regulators rebuilt there. For an extra $5 or so, they will do the work while you wait. Both regulators have worked flawlessly since they worked on them. Their prices are very competitive and it's a local, family owned business. I am not sure, but I think that they do the work for a lot of the area shops.

Bob Harbour

Reply to
MetalHead
[posted and mailed]

MetalHead wrote in news:LfGFc.31$ snipped-for-privacy@news-west.eli.net:

Hey Bob, that's good to know. Do you recall what the charge was? I would rather do business with a small family owned company. I have done good business with Vern Lewis Welding Supply on I-17 between Grant and Buckeye Road. I like them much better than Phoenix Welding....

Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega