Lanthanated Tungstens

I've read this group for a while and have heard Ernie comment that he mostly uses the 2% Lanthanated tungstens. So I bought a set of 2% 3/32" electrodes from Aglevtech for the TIG class I'm taking and have been happy with them.

Looking at the available electrodes, it seems that they still make 1% and 1.5% lanthanated. What would the advantage be for the lower percentage of lanthana? There is only a dollar or two difference so that probably isn't the reason... Just curious if there are applications where one would want a lower percentage.

Reply to
Aaron Kushner

Why do they still sell Polyester belted radial tires? Why do they still sell Ford Escorts?

Just because something isn't as good doesn't mean there isn't a market for it.

For gods sake man people still buy PURE tungstens! Nobody in their right mind would ever buy a pure tungsten again if they had ever tried a Lanthanated, Ceriated or Zirconiated Tungsten for AC TIG.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Zirconiated for AC is the best, such heat resistance is fantastic, of only the gloves were as resilient. ;-)

Guy

Reply to
Guy Morin