"Universal" TIG electrodes (tungstens)?

Looking at some online TIG consumable sellers web sites it seems I can buy TIG tungstens alloyed to make a universal electrode? I am new to TIG, having just bought a used Migatronic MTE220. I have received red and white banded electrodes, but I now wonder if the "grey" banded ones would allow me to weld aluminium ally, stainless steel and mild steel without buying several types of tungstens? I will be mainly doing light work on race car chassis and plumbing / exhausts. Gas will be pure argon, not a mix. Thanks.

Reply to
Chris

You want Zirconiated electrodes (brown color code) for aluminum. They are astoundingly better than EWP (pure Tungsten, green color code). I tried the EWP and the electrodes became contaminated, melted, spattered crud all over, and made poor welds. With the EWZr electrodes, I had vastly less trouble with contamination and started making beginner's grade welds. I can't find any grey color code in the Lincoln GTAW book. If your machine only does DC, you have little hope of doing TIG on aluminum. You need AC and continuous HF to get good results on aluminum. Pure Argon is right for Al and most other TIG applications.

Stainless can be welded with Thoriated 2% (red code) on DCEN with pure Argon shield gas. The same electrode and gas is fine for most other steels, as well.

If the radioactivity of the Thorium worries you, you can use Lanthanated electrodes in most applications where Thoriated electrodes are recommended.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Oh, yeah, web sellers. I have bought a bunch of stuff from aglevtech, and he has been very good about everything. Prices on eBay vary depending on who is bidding against you, but he is good about delivering the stuff even if it closes cheap.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

My zirconiated tungstens have a white band.

Don Foreman

IF your welder does advanced squarewave (AC balance) then if you make the balance heavy to the EN side you can use reds on aluminum from what ive been told.

That hav> Looking at some online TIG consumable sellers web sites it seems I can buy

Reply to
Brent Philion

I have lanthanated electrodes (anyone needs 3/16" electrodes?) and they are billed as pretty much universal, they can do steel and aluminum, AC or DC.

Ignoramus20852

Correct. Gray or Gold banding. Lanthanated tungstens are rated for AC/DC and are just about as close to universal as can be. Stainless steel, Alum etc etc etc.

I understand that 2% is marginally better than 1.5% for alum..but most serious welders will use the slightly cheaper 1.5%.

Ive been collecting and using tungstens for a while..and while I started out using pure (green) tunstens for alum, Ive pretty much switched to the Lanthanated for just about everything. If its rough work..Ill use the reds, cause I scored "several" boxes of various sizes..from .040- 3/16"

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I have 2% blue ones.

That's great!

I love tungsten, it is so heavy and hard.

Ignoramus4758

Thats what my girl friend says about me...

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Great info guys, thanks a lot, i have bought a couple of boxes of ceriated, and have some lanthanated on order, so I can now cover most bases with a limited range. great reource, this newsgroup. All the best for Christmas and a healthy New Year.

Reply to
Chris