Arc welding electrodes

Where does one buy manual metal arc welding electrodes in the UK - in
particular, East London?
The likes of B&Q, and Machine Mart, just seem to sell "Welding
electrodes". Graduated in how thick they are, but no mention of what
material they're for (mild steel? nickel? stainless? aluminium? copper?
My teach-yourself-welding book suggests (does not explicitly state; just
suggests, vaguely) that one might use electrodes of the same metal
you're joining (except that you apparently use pure nickel sometimes
when welding cast iron).
But everywhere that sells electrodes just calls them "electrodes".
What gives? Should I just buy generic "electrodes" from Machine Mart,
and use them to weld everything in sight? Or is there a place I can get
a catalogue from that lists all the electrodes I might ever want,
indexed by material and welding position and thickness and whatnot?
ABS
Reply to
Alaric Snell-Pym
I buy them at what used to be called WH Clarke on Hackney Road - They recently changed name to Daniel something or other - my memory is failing clearly!. They're at the Cambridge Heath Road end on the north side. Very useful supplier of stuff like that and MS rod/strip/bar
Charles
Reply to
Charles Ping
Hi, Nickle rods are about £150 a box
Reply to
Rotty
Oooh, really? Yet more reason for me to go visit - thanks!
ABS
Reply to
Alaric Snell-Pym
Gosh, I hope they're worth it! I wonder how much solid gold rods for mounting religious/head-of-state statues on their base plates cost? :-)
Oooh, handy - thanks.
ABS
Reply to
Alaric Snell-Pym
Rather more than the steel that was often used to separate the head of state's head from its body... :-)
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
Hi There
If your looking for electrodes give me a call 07930 253339 Mild steel £6.00 per pack 2.5kg Cast Iron pure nickle £40.00 for 1kg 2.5mm Can deliver to London or Post.
Regards
Steve
Reply to
weldingonline
Oooh, I hadn't noticed your post and so got some from Welder's Warehouse - but you do have some interesting electrodes they don't and a wide range of accessories - I've put you in my bookmarks for when I need more electrodes, thanks!
ABS
Reply to
Alaric Snell-Pym