"Univeral" TIG tungstens???

Looking at some online TIG consumable sellers web sites it seems I can buy TIG tungstens alloyed to make a universal electrode? I am new to TIG, having just bought a used Migatronic MTE220. I have received red and white banded electrodes, but I now wonder if the "grey" banded ones would allow me to weld aluminium ally, stainless steel and mild steel without buying several types of tungstens? I will be mainly doing light work on race car chassis and plumbing / exhausts. Gas will be pure argon, not a mix. Thanks.

Reply to
Chris

Lanthanated and Ceriated tungstens are both AC/DC tungstens.

Lanthanated is my favorite for most general TIG. You can get them in 1% (black or grey), 1.5% (gold) and 2% (blue).

1.5% is the most common in the US. I also buy Zirconiated tungstens (brown) for high amperage AC only.

Ceriated tungstens are Orange.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Does anyone have experience with these:

thnx

Reply to
herman munster

Huntingdon Fusion makes a similar mix tungsten. I believe they are using both Lanthana and Ceria.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Taking Ernies excellent advice..I just about only use 1.5% Lanthanated electrodes now, and have (for me..a dauber) gotten excellent results on aluminum etc with them.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I have some 3/16" 2% lanthanated ones, universal electrode.

Ignoramus4758

I have ordered some Lanthanated ones in 2 thicknesses, and have also bought some Ceriated ones to try. many thanks for the detailed advice, I'd almost forgotten what a great resource news groups are, having spent too much time surfing the web! Have a happy Christmas and a healthy New Year.

Reply to
Chris

I just bought a ten pack of 5/32" zirconiated tungstens from tungsten-direct (Ebay store) for $34.50. The local stores all wanted over $120 for the same quantity and would have to order them in. Ordered them Monday afternoon and they arrived this afternoon (Friday). Will be trying them out sometime next week.

They *look* the same (IE: same surface finish) as the small tungstens I bought from the local linweld and even had better packaging. Interestingly enough, Linweld's tungstens were all made in china last time I looked. I suspect they all come from the same source.

StaticsJason

Reply to
me

There are only something like 3 companies in the entire world that actually MAKE tungstens. Everybody else is just brokering them. Russia and China are the 2 biggest producers.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Historically, Mexico has low grade Tungsten ore. During WW II, tons and tons and tons of it was brought north to El Paso Texas and made into huge mountains down by the East-West Railroad. I-20 IIRC finally got it 'moved' - The ore was finally turned into metal at the old and local famous Foundry at the base of the mountain range. No telling what happened to that source. Maybe Ge or someone bought it for tubes, light bulbs.....

The grade was so poor - story goes - that it wasn't worth shipping anywhere else.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Looked it up in my Gov. book -

China had 134,500 short-ton units of WO3 while the U.S.A. had 9,000 in 1954. Suspect the main ore is in China. Us, Portugal, Bolivia, Burma, Korea all have some (others very small). Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn