17 years ago
i am building a TIG welder and have some questions mainly on safty:
1) as i understand the HF start pulse is superimposed on the weldig
current, and therefore goes through the main power cable and torch.
does this not cause problems with arking through the relitavly thin
insolation? i have got a profesional torch and cable and the conductor
is just stuffed down the middle of the argon pipe. it looks like it
might hold of the voltage (about 10Kv?) but i want to be shour.
2) information on electrode colour codes seems ambigious or
contradictory. so far i have seen white, grey, red and yellow. what
aditives do these colors represent? are they even standardised?
3) do thorium doped electrodes pose a helth hazard? i find the idea
of grinding radioactive materal (to form a point on the end) rather
worying, not to mension the fumes produced by electrode erosion.
4) which electrode do i use for which metals?
5) what volume of gas does one get in those little desposable
cylinders? i'm wondering wether i'm better of with them or getting a
refilable (and probably rather expensive) BOC