Newbee TIG questions

Hi Guys,

My first post here, I have been lurking for a while.

I'm new to this welding game, but have had a MIG for a while. I'm ok at getting a reasonable weld, although by your standards it would leave a lot to be desired :)

I'm looking at buying a TIG. I'm into old VW's & over her in the UK they rust. Haven't you got it good in the States? ;-)

What I want to do is mainly replace panels, fabricate up an exhaust system, do some brazing & be able to 'shrink' damaged panels. I have heard that I won't be able to attempt welding Alumininum with my budget which would be around 500 UK pounds.

What should I be looking for in a welder, any recommendations for brands/suppliers etc? Or any things to lookout for if I can find any second hand.

It is for hobby use as opposed to industrial use.

Many thanks Steve

Reply to
Balders

Hi Steve, Cars rust over here too, The eastern and northern states often use salt on roads which does pretty much what you would expect to cars. I spent a couple of years welding or brazing rusty MG's, Sprites and the occasional Jag.

As far as a TIG welding machine, from your description, it sounds like an oxyacetylene rig would fit in there well in addition to a TIG machine.

For brazing, yes it is possible to braze with TIG, I have done a little bit of it, but it is a much slower and more localized operation than with O/A. Maybe with more practice for me it would be more useful, but to me, TIG brazing is kind of a curiousity type of process.

For shrinking, it seems to me like you need to heat a large area. I have yet to encounter a TIG rosebud.

For your exhaust system, TIG would certainly do a nice job, but then so would O/A fusion welding.

Good Luck, Bob

Reply to
MetalHead