Spindle re-ground?

Hi,

I've been thinking while looking at the spindle of my Gorton 8D... Anybody had a spindle re-ground? The spindle is 1.43 " in diameter, down .150" from my mill/drill which uses R8. I'm wondering if there's enough meat to re-grind the spindle to accept R8 or??? Are there other collet tapers which are more common than Gorton's arrangement, that might be a better fit for adapting the Gorton spindle?

Any thoughts or recommendations for outfits that do this. I know Wells does it for their spindles....

Regards,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

I saw some of the those collets on ebay a few days ago. Once have them you have them.

Reply to
Wayne

before yu are allowed any answers..you must provide pictures.

Gunner

"The entire population of Great Britain has been declared insane by their government. It is believed that should any one of them come in possession of a firearm, he will immediately start to foam at the mouth and begin kiling children at the nearest school. The proof of their insanity is that they actually believe this." -- someone in misc.survivalism

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner,

How many pictures do I need to supply before I get the answer I want?

As soon as I get my garage cleaned up I'll take some pictures of the 8D. I just got it in today. The rigger picked it up from the shop, drove it the

30 miles to my house, backed up my steep driveway, unloaded the thing with his fork lift, and set it down on the pedestal I'd made. After reading about everybody's trials and tribulations whilst moving machinery, and after calling rental places to check on the various options, I figured this was the best money I'd ever spent...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Gunner,

How many pictures do I need to supply before I get the answer I want?

As soon as I get my garage cleaned up I'll take some pictures of the 8D. I just got it in today. The rigger picked it up from the shop, drove it the

30 miles to my house, backed up my steep driveway, unloaded the thing with his fork lift, and set it down on the pedestal I'd made. After reading about everybody's trials and tribulations whilst moving machinery, and after calling rental places to check on the various options, I figured this was the best money I'd ever spent...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

One would be good. Ive never seen an 8D.

Way cool. Ill email you a picture of my 016-A and we can compare notes

Gunner

"The British attitude is to treat society like a game preserve where a certain percentage of the 'antelope' are expected to be eaten by the "lions". Christopher Morton

Reply to
Gunner

Yep. Those are the ones I was looking at. I'm new to this but the price strikes me as getting unreasonable. I have seven collets and was just looking to fill in some that I'm missing. Maybe I just need to suck it up and buy them...

For the money they're already up to, Wells would've reground my spindle.

Reply to
Peter Grey