Gorton spindle regrind

Here is the response I had back tonight from Wells Index re the spindle regrind:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ We can regrind the # 9 B&S to the R-8 taper. The spindle and quill must be assembled in the quill or sleeve that it is assembled to in the mill. We grind the taper to the actual running bearings. If the sleeve or quill is 3.125 inch dia. to 3.375 inch dia. we can grind the R-8 taper as quoted in this e-mail. Any other configuration requires a special set up and the price will be higher. The only thing you will not have after this conversion is the R-8 pin to hold your tooling while tightening the drawbar. We have been doing this for about 8 years now and it has been working well with no complaints. The cost is $200.00 to do the grinding in an Index or wells-Index mill and if you want a new drawbar we can make it for an additional cost. You will need to send us the spindle and quill as an assembly to have it reground. Please send it in a wooden box or heavy cardboard with wood ends. Insure it for at least $1800.00 and put your contact information on the inside and outside of the container. You can e-mail pictures of your mill and/or spindle assembly if you would like a confirmation of the ability to do the grinding. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have asked the respondent if they can get into the smaller Gorton Taper as opposed to the larger B&S #9 taper.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

So, all you really need is someone who is going on a two or three week trip to the States?

Mark Rand (Not going anywhere) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Ah, well, you see we have these friends in Phoenix.....:-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes