Anyone Received MEW?

I don't have a subscription but usually pick it up at W H Smiths. However Smiths can be a bit haphazard. If anyone either gets a subscription copy or finds a newstand copy please shout.

Thanks

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I got an MEW subscription for Christmas but have yet to see a copy. Apparantly with gift subscriptions they send a card confirming the gift (or so my wife was told), but I haven't seen this either.

Anyone know what the publication date is? Sould be in the magaizine somewhere under the 'next issue' section but I dont have mine to hand at the moment.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

3rd Feb c
Reply to
Charles Ping

Dear all

I rang the new company last Friday to see what was happening to my subscription and they confirmed that the next MEW (Feb) was at the printers at that time and they expected to get them out in the post by mid this week.

I am hoping to see mine by this coming Friday.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Steam Train Dave

Just spoke to Encanta about this. Existing subscription copies were posted out on 3rd Feb. I asked about retailers and they confirmed that retail stock was not released until yesterday (Monday), so it should be in the shops by tomorrow hopefully.

Enquiries can be made on these numbers:

0870 837 8668 for current subscriptions 0870 837 8600 for new subscriptions

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

If they were posted 3rd Feb I still have not received mine .... surely even the Post Office are not that slow?

Reply to
Alan Marshall

That wouldn't surprise me - 3rd was Friday, only 2 working days ago.

2nd class it could well arrive tomorrow.

I know it's not a mass circulation comic, even so would they really get them all posted on the same day?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I just spoke to David Fenner this evening - the mag was printed roughly mid-last-week, so posting Friday (but more likely Monday) is certainly plausible.

"The mag's in the post" at any rate ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Unlike the cheque unfortunately!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

True...but the show ain't over quite yet on that score.

Watch this space...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Too true.

It would be very silly if the new owners disenfranchised the authors who generate the content.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Update - my copy arrived this morning.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Another update, just read on the Editors page that MEW is now going to

10 issues a year instead of 8. Publications dates for 2006 will be:

03/02

10/03 13/04 19/05 23/06 28/07 01/09 06/10 10/11 15/12

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Hmmm. Apparently there has been some push back from the advertisers on that - and from the staff - concerns about keeping the quality up. Bear in mind that this issue was put to bed well before the new regime came into play, so its not clear whether or not that particular decision will survive.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

OK, so what it needs to keep advertisers (and subscribers?) happy is perhaps more articles, whilst maintaining the quality of content? And of course more contributors would be needed to boost this.

Forgive me if all this has been mentioned before, as I have only been reading MEW since September last year, but maybe it needs to broaden its appeal a little bit. What about resurrecting some of the 'Beginners Corner' articles from ME of the 50's/60's for those that are new to the hobby. And perhaps some basic fundamentals like a series on materials and applications, again for those who have a limited knowledge in this area. Or a series of performance test reports on ranges of workshop equipment from different manufacturers/importers, if these companies could be persuaded to supply a test machine, together with a buyers-guide index.

Perhaps some content like this together with most of the excellent articles on home designed inventions, mechanisms, and tweaks that it currently carries would work. And how about a 'readers workshop' page, or a 'machine restoration' piece?

If I have gone over old ground or the above would suggest a dumbing-down of content then I apologise. But what would the current readership like to see in the magazine? As a new reader I find it both fascinating and useful, but there is always room for improvement.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

recieved MEW today in post

Reply to
malbenbut

I feel they need to address the internet more, a links page and other useful stuff. There is a lot out there and not having to look as hard will help.

Take Home Shop Machinist in the States, run by Village Press they have supplied a BBS board for their readers. A bit like an on line postbag page but more readily available, no waiting two months to read an edited reply or no reply at all.

This can spin off to create other revenue, because like it or not it's all about revenue. A while ago there was a readers tips thread on the board. This proved that popular that they spun a book off called Readers Tips book. Later to prove the popularity they printed Tips Book 2.

They must be a good seller as Ower Gert has bought 100 copies. Blatant plug here if anyone wants a copy.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Yes, but I for one am very pissed off with what coverage they have given it. If you want to read about computing and the internet (in general terms) buy a computer magazine. I have just noticed that there will ba an article in next months magazine about broadband internet access -how to set it up, internet security, etc. What the F**K has that got to do with model engineers' workshops? (although, I must admit I do have broadband in my workshop).

It just sounds like cheap filling material because they haven't got anything relevant to put in the magazine!

(Rant mode off)

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Like everyone else's .... mine arrived today too.

I noticed the editorial announcement about increasing the number of publications. It would be nice if the decision did survive the new managements review of the Magazine but places pressure on contributors as well as staff and advertisers. I would prefer quality content over more issues stuffed with filler text.

Reply to
Alan Marshall