Anyone Received MEW?

Ditto.

David Fenner has a fair stack of material that "could" be used, but its a question of just how many articles describing ML7 saddle stops etc. etc. you can stomach.

In order to make sense of an extra couple of issues he will need not just more material, but more INTERESTING material thats worth publishing.

So if anyone has done a project recently that is a bit different from the run-of-the-mill, I would encourage you to put pen to paper.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Kevin. By virtue of a post appearing on this board we are talking to the converted. Take a look at the next show you go to and see how many don't even know what a computer is. Not all the geriatrics [ I always thought that term was a German fast bowler - sorry I'll get my coat ] are that way but many are. These people still have a wealth of knowledge stored up there and the internet is one way to open this up.

How much stuff has been lost in terms of information, books, machines, tools and models because next of kin have sod all knowledge of possessions. At least if these doddering old sods, sorry senior citizens, get a chance to meet, and relate to others of a like mind then hopefully it will do future generations good.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone from getting online, and if a few more people could be persuaded online to share thier wisdom it would be terrific. (I'm sure several people here who were on rcm a while ago remember "tee-nut" and the great wisdom he freely shared. Although he is no longer around many of his informative postings are).

I'm just pointing out that if you go to the newsagents the shelves are crammed with computer books & magazines -with offerings suitable for all ages and abilities, which can teach you anything you need to know. MEW is pretty much on it's own (unless you go to a newsagent that stocks HSM) and what little space there is shouldn't be spent on subjects covered in so much detail elsewhere.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I buy it occasionally; hardly ever now that I can't get it in Smiths. I'd have been more keen if projects weren't split over several issues.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Mine arrived in post today (Wednesday 8th), so they seem to be carrying on, and I read there will now be 10 per year rather than 8.

Hywel

Reply to
hyweldavies

Agreed that the knowledge is there but if the "senior German fast bowlers" are not computer literate now they are hardly likely to change quickly (enough) or at all. I believe there is another useful service that the "clubs" could perform and a way in which more junior club members could help the whole hobby. I know most larger clubs have some sort of web presence but if those in the club that do use the internet could get the older members to give up some of their undoubted experience by way of hints and tips, answers to FAQ, experiences with machine X etc, descriptions of how (and why) they set their workshop up that way, etc, even in basic note form and post on the club "technical" page then this would at least be available in raw form for later generations. When posted an opportunity to "ask questions" or provide comment could quite quickly refine the articles. Then something like the SMEE? could drag them together and select the most illuminating (of the many similar articles) to be posted on a central forum/database?

I know the ME, MEW might not like the competition but I believe in the longer term it could bring more people into the hobby and therefore more subscribers. They might even want to publish a "pick of the web pages" each month to make the link between magazine/internet. The magazines could continue their "in depth" articles which would then naturally progress from the wealth of basic information available on the net. Part of the problem is that web pages available tend to be "dead" storage areas and once the satisfaction of having a web page has subsided then they cease to be updated regularly and eventually die. Perhaps active forum (like this one) need to have someone to correlate the archive and produce an "easily accessed" FAQ, hints tips etc. Publication (by the ME?) of these in book or magazine special form is a possible means of generating income and encouraging them to participate. Perhaps a "flat fee" paid to the author/club with the sales profit going to the publisher.

Too much I suspect but then most "estate sales" are rich sources for those "in the know" and whilst the next of kin don't get what they deserve the items themselves normally return to the hobby via a rich profit margin for a dealer or some lucky b**"^*d who happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Perhaps an "open engineering on the internet evening" a couple of times a year hosted by local clubs could bring together the "senior", computer literate and "junior" generations. A short "whats available and how to find it" introduction followed by open discussion of subjects suggested by the gathering (not just the latest problems with building xxx engine), would I believe encourage those more experienced engineers to share information/experiences.

Dam my glasses have gone all pink again!! Still must be worth a try?

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk