Who other than Lincoln and miller make an AC/DC inverterwith a capacity around 200 amps?

I'm looking for opinions/recommendations on an AC/DC tig inverter

I'm looking to add AC tig capabilities to my welding and i have to move the machine too often to have a transformer based welder.

and i've never needed over 200 amps in tig or stick and te duty cycle is no biggie for my use because usually i leve my existing machine set at

150 and rarely put the pedal down over 75 amps

I'm sure i'm missing machines

I'm looking to find out who makes a 200ish amp AC/DC TIG inverter other than miller or Lincoln i know about the Invertec and Dynasty and both are nice machines but i also know i dont need a welder meant to be run

40 hours a week the way the Dynasty and Invertecs are.

THe welding shops in town have got blue and red itis so i'm wondering if there are other manufactureres with other options that might be cheaper but still fully meeting what i need in a welder

SO far that i'm familliar with i know of the Lincoln invertec V205 Miller Dynasty 200 And both List around 3000 new

Any other manufacturers that make good stuff that fell under the radar?

thanks Brent Philion

Reply to
Brent Philion

How about Thermal Arc P-Wee 200 GTS,

I'm looking for opinions/recommendations on an AC/DC tig inverter >

Reply to
Ignoramus18299

Hi,

I have a Thermal Arc 185 TSW and think it's great. It was about a grand less than the Miller or Lincoln units IIRC.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Hmmmm...if you are in Canada, you might want to look at cute and cuddly Italian made DECA at:

Around $600CAD for the power source plus $170CAD for the TIG torch. So, $770CAD or $650USD will get you a TIG machine. Taxes extra. Don't know if they ship to the USA. I'm a Red and Blue kind of guy so, don't know anything about DECA.

Reply to
Speechless

Cute cuddly and DC only

My existing blue welder (XMT 304) is great for DC only stuff and portable despite being cabable of 400 amps. But i need one to do AC (aluminum tig)

Speechless wrote:

Reply to
Brent Philion

Reply to
Robert Ball

Reply to
acrobat ants

I love my TA 185.

Reply to
AL

I've been using HTP Invertig 201 for the last two years.

It was my first welder, and the choice worked out quite well for this newbie. No problems encountered, everything was fairly intuitive and easy to learn. I know better than to attribute my steep learning curve to some innate skill - more likely it's the inverter bells and wistles making it easy.

FWIW, I am almost certain that similar machines from other reputable brands would give me a comparable experience.

-- Ilya

Reply to
iillyyaa

Oops...I missed that. Ummm...I don't think "cheap" and "AC TIG" should be used in the same sentence -- choose one or the other.

Do you have a gas torch? If you use the proper filler and flux, you can weld aluminum with gas. It would be "cheap" and "portable".

To simplify my life, I got myself a Propane Turbo-Torch:

some extra bits and pieces for around $500.00 total.

- light weight, easy to handle

- no more looking for power outlets

- no more tangled cables

- no more tank rentals

- no more driving 80 miles get welding gas

- no more waiting till they open on Monday for a refill

- runs off a standard 20# propane tank

- refillable at the corner gas station

- propane less expensive than special welding gases

- in a pinch, I borrow the tank off my propane barbeque

Works for me.

Since it doesn't sound like you have much aluminum welding to do (otherwise you would be shopping for red or blue) and already have DC TIG capability, gas welding might work for you on those rare occasions you need to do aluminum.

If you have never used a gas torch, but already know TIG, gas welding is the same principle and should be no problem to learn.

Reply to
Speechless

I alway think there are 3 general levels of products when it comes to tools

  1. Professional/ industrial use
  2. Light industrial (Less time used similar quality)
  3. Hobbyist

In the above exanple applied to welding

1 woudl eb a welding/fab shop 2 woudl be a grage/repair place without a heavy emphasis on bodywork and 3 would be a driveway/garage

Or IN terms of tool Manufacturers

  1. INgersoll Rand, MAC, Snap on
  2. Craftsman professional (As opposed to normal "craftsman")
  3. Princess auto, harbor freight

I was Hoping somone would be able to give me a possible revelation and show me a "Category 2" AC TIG inverter

My personal preference if i'm buying new is Used Category 1 equipment especially since "leased" equipment in canada is a tax write off at the end of the lease

I've got some leads now (ESAB, TermalArc, and HTP) that i need to follow up on

As for the tradeoff between AC TIG or Cheap I have already made the choice. It would never break my heart to add a brand new miller dynasy

200 to the sh> >
Reply to
Brent Philion

MADE IN USA

Miller Dynasty 200DX

MADE IN EUROPE

ESAB Heliarc 161 Fronius Magicwave 1700 Telwin TIG 180 AC/DC HF/LIFT 230V Esseti 170HF Migatronic pi 200 ac/dc Lincoln Invertec 205 Selco Genesis 200 Stel Tig P 201 AC/DC HTP America Invertig 200

These are the same machine Lincoln Invertec 205 Selco Genesis 200

And these are the same machine Stel Tig P 201 AC/DC HTP America Invertig 200

MADE IN JAPAN

Thermal Arc Prowave 185TSW

The best Bargain in the field is the Thermal arc 185TSW at around $1700 complete The best Affordable machine is the Miller Dynasty 200DX at around $2700

The absolute best machine is the Fronius Magicwave 1700 at around $4400

I put the Fronius at the top because they offer features no other company has. They have a torch mounted remote that can access all the available parameters of the TIG power supply. Oh MAN do I want one.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Update

Having looked things over and realixing i dont need a hugely overbuilt unit i started searching

the Main welding shop i go to pushes miller hard gave me a good price (I comparison shopped elsewhere and they are giving me 800 less than the other shop (Or 800 less than the walk off the street price) one way othe the other weldshop A is on the level dealing with me

But I dont need something as built up as the dynasty 200. I cannot complain about miller equipment, price being equal i have good experiences and would continue using them but i would need to see if there is a reason to pay 50% more for a miller peice of equipment compared to a diff Brand

SO i investigated the cheaper options

I've seen feedback from HTP and Thermal arc

HTP are happy dealing directly with me ad gave me a price with torch and all thats 500 cheaper than the miller price (And maybe more depending on taxes) but HTP have no canadian distributors and might not be CSA approved which could lead to liability issues should push come to shove

thermal arc on the other hand i asked about

and i was Beaten down the entire thermal arc PRO WAVE series including the 185 TSW are NOT CSA APPROVED therefore are not available in canada. Because they are distributed through a solid established network Thermadyne (Parent company) wont let any canadian weld shops near them till the certification does through. basically ARGHH and F*&*&(()* Good old Government and Safety Agencies apparently its been in the works for years and Thermadyne has given up on when the devices will be certified because its taken so long.

Esab i cannot find a distributor for so i've needed to rule out the Heliarc 161

the Lincoln box is basically price comparable to miller and because my "home shop" pushes miller and i have good experiences with miller i'd take the dynasty 200 dx first

I've Contacted Esseti and Migatronic but form their websites they do not give mee a lot of hope as to having Canadian Distribution

Basically I've been cut down to HTP and miller in new

I spoke to a welding repair shop in town and have been told that used AC/DC inverters are as scarce as hens teeth up here and to expect to pay ballpark 2/3 of MSRP for a used one but if i cant find a new inverter then to me it makes more sense to do MIG for aluminum and TIG for everything else and Keep my inverter and Argon in place.

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
Brent Philion

The whole CSA approval thing sure sucks. Sorry about that.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Seems totally nuts to me

And its coming from a nation known for its safety consciousness and its used in a nation known for suing any time there is even a remote possiblity of a safety issue.

I bet its something stupid like they didnt give a french instruction manual.

all > The whole CSA approval thing sure sucks.

Reply to
Brent Philion

Locally ESAB is handeled by the Praxair distributor (PEI), if they are in your area you may want to give them a call

John

Reply to
John Noon

Well I might have hit an Unknowledgeable guy but i found out about the thermal arcs in the praxair shop

the Only other similar option the guy showed me at that point was the dynasty 200 and the quote i got there was out to lunch (I got quoted MSRP basically)

From that perspective thats enough to rule out praxair ottawa for me.

I will check next time i go into my usual welding shop (which is not praxair)

I guess my other option is to check in Sudbury (My hometown) because in comparison there is nothing in terms of industrial support type shops here in Ottawa. and a city 1/10th the size has 4x the industrial type shops due to the nature of the economy up there. Besides GO figure family and friends found out I could weld and there are a couple of projects waiting up there

When i go to pay up my years rental on my argon bottle I'll ask at Air Liquide about Esab According to the Esab Canada site (which i just found) they are a dealer too

John No> Locally ESAB is handeled by the Praxair distributor (PEI), if they are in

Reply to
Brent Philion