Ernie - What's my next welder?

Have a Lincon Squarewave Tig 175 and am looking for something with a better *Lower* amp as well as some more guts in the higher end. Not oppsed to switching brands and am looking towards inverter instead of my mule-like 175. I's in excellent shape and will sell it to offset the new purchase.

(And just to confuse the issue - I may decide to keep the 175 and get a decent MIG siince I now TIG/Stick only) - whaddayathink

Thanks as always

Tom

Reply to
surftom

You can go 2 ways.

Option 1. A 200 amp AC/DC inverter

Miller Dynasty 200DX Lincoln Invertec 205 HTP America Invertig 200

are all good choices, and are all around $2500 - $3000 for a complete package.

The Thermal Arc 185TSW isn't much of an improvement over your 175, so I would leave it off the list

Option 2. A 300 amp AC/DC transformer.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX Lincoln Precisiontig 275

Both machines get to 300 amps output and have lots of bells and whistles. Price is going to be around $2500 - $3000 for either.

I love my Syncrowave 250DX, but others seem to prefer the Lincoln.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

How about if 175 or so is fine at the high end, and you need only a better low end?

Thanks.

Owen Davies

Reply to
Owen Davies

I used to work in an aviation repair weld shop welding very thin stuff at low amps...I swear by the syncrowave

Reply to
digitalmaster

Thanks, digitalmaster. As it happens, it's aviation work I had in mind.

Owen Davies

Reply to
Owen Davies

Thanks Ernie - will certainly look in to all the models you mentioned Appreciate the reply

Tom

Reply to
surftom

I you want a good Mig machine, then I would think the Millermatic 210 or 251, or Hobart Handler 210 or Hobart IronMan 250, would be great Mig machines.

The 210 machines can do steel/aluminum up to 3/8" thick and the 250/251 versions can do up to 1/2" thick.

Just keep in mind though the 251 version will take a 60 amp breaker all by itself.

Reply to
sparty

Then the Thermal Arc 185TSW is your best bet. Similar top end to the 175, but more bells and whistles and much better low end control.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks, Ernie.

An extension of that question (it's only just occurred to me): What would you get for jewelry-size work? A tig equivalent of the Smith Little Torch?

Thanks again.

Owen

Reply to
Owen Davies

As a welder of aircraft-related items, I'm curious what you want to weld. Perhaps I can shed some light on the hardware necessary to accomplish your goals.

Reply to
aviweld

Thin-wall 4130 tubing, say 0.028 to 0.065 max, and mostly 0.035. Fuel-tank aluminum would be nice, too, but it's a secondary concern.

It certainly sounds like the Termal Arc Ernie recommends would be great for this kind of work.

As a tertiary thought, and no doubt this needs a whole different set of equipment, jewelry-size work in any number of metals, but mostly silver.

I wonder whether there is any practical way to reduce the output of a

5-amp minumum TIG welder to...what? 1 amp?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Owen Davies

Reply to
Owen Davies

I agree that the four small ac/dc inverters, HTP, Lincoln 205 (the one I currently use), Miller dynasty, or TA 185 are all good machines for the welding you describe. I would consider an O/A mini-torch for jewelry. Good luch, Scott.

Reply to
aviweld

I have a 50 amp Weldcraft TIG torch that is the size of a fountain pen. It only uses 0.040" and 0.020" tungstens. Try sharpening a 0.020" tungsten to a point. I have only used it twice.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Sounds perfect. Thanks again.

Owen