Arc-starting on HF's $199 TIG welder & related

I know you get whatcha pay for and I am content with the capabilities of the said welder.

It appears "scratch-to-arc" type of unit and I was wondering if the collective knows some better ways to start arc. Often, when trying to get arc going by scratching, I have electrode sticking to the steel I am welding and it is annoying. After a few sticking accidents the tip of the electrode breaks off and it is downhill from there. I am using Thoriated (reds) electrodes, but will try lanthanated shortly.

BTW, I didn't know before I read it in the Miller's most excellent TIG handbook (

) that thoriated electrodes are slightly radioactive .

I found that it is easier to start arc by scratching on the filler electrodes's surface, especially when it is (copper ?) plated .

And more on this product: I recall reading here that folx were able to weld coke (coffee?) cans with this model. I tried, for fun, welding carbon bandsaw blade and had 0 luck . At the lowest power setting the arc would blow a hole in the blade material (30 thou) almost instantenously. Not sure if it is because of high carbon content in that steel. Didn't try bimetals yet. I silver solder then with 0 issues, BTW.

I run 80/20 Argon/Co2 @ 15-20 cfph (will switch to pure argon as soon as I am done with the bottle, was told @ welding store 80/20 will work as shielding gas for both MIG & TIG ?)

Reply to
rashid111

I have one of the HF TIG welders. My supplier told me the 75/25 mix was OK. I burned electrodes like crazy, and they kept sticking to the work. The contract weldors here at the plant said "no CO2", so I switched to pure Ar. All of a sudden, the problems went away.

Get 100% Argon. The gas is cheaper than a case of tungsten electrodes.

Reply to
jgandalf

Try laying a copper pad on the piece you are welding and scratching that, and then moving over to steel.

Ignoramus16163

CO2 is inert at room temperature. At welding temperatures it is not Inert. It is not suitable for tungsten INERT gas welding. Look at Miller or Lincoln web sites for information. Your clerk at the welding store may or may not know much about welding.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Reply to