make a dually out of a 3/4 ton

I've got an old (1977) 3/4 ton GMC pickup that I'm thinking of putting dually rear wheels on for hauling around the farm here. Is this just a bolt-up or are there other considerations?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Slowey

I think you'd get into issues with brake drum clearances, wheel stud lengths and possibly the difference between lug piloted and hub piloted wheels.

Probably the best option would be to find a good 1T (14 bolt / 10.5" ring gear) axle already setup for duallies at a good junkyard. You'll get the benefits of the full floating axle and likely the decent Eaton limited slip as well and it should be pretty close to a bolt up.

You'll likely also need to upgrade the springs in order to get any benefit from the extra axle capacity as 1977 springs are probably shot and 3/4T springs would bottom out anyway. The front suspension would likely need attention if you want to run on-road with the increased capacity, but if it stays on the farm it's probably not an issue.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Check the dimension between the wheel wells of the pick-up. An axle from a flatbed may be too narrow for the wheels to fit up in the wells. This is an issue on a Ford, maybe on a GMC. Also the fenders will hve to be cut out to clear the dual wheels. Why not just buy my '78 F-350? Heavy truck, good tires just drive it away, all the work is done. Not a dually but a lot heftier than a 3/4 ton Jimmy. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

Reply to
wayne mak

Or, why not buy my 1 ton Dodge RAM 350, with only 35k miles on it, previously city owned. 2 WD, 5.9L V8 engine. Runs very good.

I can sell it for $3,000.

Ignoramus16163

I've one of the same units and with a set of overloads and good E rated tires it will hold it's own against anything in its class. Duals would not be much of a gain for the money IMO. Add the overloads and good tires.

Want a real HD pickup truck, get a Dodge Cummins..

DE

Reply to
DE

If you were in Texas- I'd be glad to! Oh well..

Reply to
Ted Walker / Strategic Industr

Reply to
JR North
10 years ago I put a dana 70 dually posi 4:11 rear in my '79 Club cab Ford F-250. Also used the springs from the rescue wagon that I pulled it from. Had to move spring perches on the axle, otherwise it was a bolt in. Used slightly cut down fenders from a stepside to cover the dual tires. Rides a little rough when empty, but much more stable when towing my 24' enclosed racecar trailer with a camper in the bed. Eventually I also put a electric overdrive on the transmission so I can cruise at 75 without screaming the engine. I expected with the bigger rear brakes locking the rear wheels on a hard stop in rain would be an issue, but this did not turn out to be a problem. If you find a junk vehicle with the right axle width, try and get the correct front hubs as well, otherwise your spare won't fit both ends. I've got a big block 460 with a decent towing cam and headers so it pulls well even when loaded in overdrive, so unless you have a small engine you may not want a 4:11 which is a common ratio in duallys unless you go with an overdrive unit.
Reply to
oldjag