Sears 3 and 4 wheel belt sander/grinders

I had a made-in-Taiwan Sears Craftsman model 351.22632 3-wheel (triangle) belt sander/grinder that takes a 1" by 42" belt, which was bought used in 2009. This unit worked in the sense that it makes sparks and removes metal, but it vibrates badly and is noisy. The 8" sanding disk wobbles so badly as to make it useless. Nor is it possible to get everything level, square, and perpendicular, so I can see why it was never properly adjusted.

The drive pulley that accepts the drive belt from the 1/3 HP motor kept creeping off the shaft until it ran into the belt cover (polystyrene), and melted a track into the cover, making bad noise and bad smell. The problems are built in by design.

In June 2015, I saw an older Sears Craftsman 351.22610 4-wheel (triangle) belt sander/grinder that also takes a 1" by 42" belt, and is a direct clone of the Rockwell 4-wheel belt grinders. The closest Sears equivalent to 351.22610 (no longer listed) is 113.22560 with the

8" disk sander attachment.

The 351.22610 (4-wheel) unit ran somewhat better than the 351.22632 (3-wheel) unit, but still needed improvement.

It turns out that the biggest cause of vibration is that the various flat-belt pulleys were left as cast, and are far from true, both wobbling and being very eccentric.

Made up some special-purpose arbors to hold the pulleys in my lathe (Clausing 5914), and machined the crowns so the belt would run true. This helped a great deal, but given the lack of reference surfaces, wasn't exact on the 4" ball-bearing idler pulley. (The 4" drive pulley and the 2" idler pulleys came out far better, because the reference was easily found.) I'll probably end up making a new ball-bearing idler pulley from 6061.

The old Delta/Rockwell units (model 31-352, Vintage Machines document number 5853) are no longer made, and the old ones are treasured.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

replying to Joe Gwinn, robbonj69 wrote: Hello Joe, Do you know how old the 351.22632 sander is? Thanks

Reply to
robbonj69

replying to Joe Gwinn, robbonj69 wrote: Hello Joe, Do you know how old the 351.22632 sander is? Thanks

Reply to
robbonj69

My records show that this unit (3-wheel) was made in 1988.

I never could tame those units, and ended up selling both 3-wheel and

4-wheel units, and buying a Jet model 577004 disk and belt sander. This works well enough.

I would not bother with the 3- and 4-wheel units not made by Delta in the US.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

My records show that this unit (3-wheel) was made in 1988.

I never could tame those units, and ended up selling both 3-wheel and

4-wheel units, and buying a Jet model 577004 disk and belt sander. This works well enough.

I would not bother with the 3- and 4-wheel units not made by Delta in the US.

Joe Gwinn

----------------------------

Yes, I bought an old 3-wheel 1" x 30" Delta belt sander at an estate sale that has been trouble free.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Were the wheels flat? They should be crowned. pdk

Reply to
Phil Kangas

I blew five bucks on IIRC a "Trademaster" 5" disc/30x1" belt sander several years ago, and, had I plugged it in to try it I would have gotten it for less. After rewire and setting it up for vacuum hookup, I have been very happy with it.

Reply to
Gerry

I have a similar HF belt/disc. Its a home hobby level machine, but I have had it for many years and used the 1x30 belt portion like a light duty industrial machine. Sharpening, grinding, and deburring. It might be 12-15 years old. I've been in this shop nearly 15 years, and I bought it not long after. Its falling apart, and I keep threatening to use the good parts to make its replacement, but the thing is it still works. Every time I turn it on it does its job, and I use it 3-4 times a week. Sometimes every day. Usually for more than a few minutes at a time. I'm sure it would have fallen apart to the point of mandatory repair if I used it all day every day, but for my more than hobbyist uses it still runs. I never really had much use for the disc part. I did use it once in a while for roughing lathe blanks because it has a little table with miter gage, but I mostly do those freehand on one of the bench grinders.

Reply to
Bob La Londe