mill spline trouble

My SuperMax mill only has three inch quile travel...

So I tore it down to find what was wrong. The part that drives the spindle and slides up/down has broken bit 'n pieces. see these pics:

I've gently pounded up and down and used air to get the bits of metal out shown in the first pic. Trying to slide the spline yoke up further results in a real tight bind.

I could use a good idea on how to take this apart.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Got it apart! Took all day. Spent hours moving it back and forth and picking another piece out. Then about an hour after getting it out polishing the galling. The part slides up/down and even has a slight rattle to it now.

My guess is the remains of a spring pin was in there. Where it came from??? The brass part must serve as a funnel to help trap foreign material in there.

I was two days tearing down to this point. Bet its three days going back together.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I feel for you. Took me a week just to work up the nerve to rebuild the used quill and hone the bore for my Hurco KMB1 quill replacement, and I didn't have any broken parts jamming it up.

Reply to
Bob La Londe