Help: Drill Press Machine Project

I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw)
that I picked up a couple months ago.
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Tools /
I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any recommendations on where I can get parts.
The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll have to take apart.(But I'd like to find a simular motor for the bandsaw).
Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts I should be scouting for?
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
your drill press needs a motor pulley - try harbor freight - it looks like the generic made in china unit, so there is an excellent change that the replacement pulley for a similar HF unit will be correct. Then you will need 2 V belts. You can use it with one handle missing, or buy a replacement handle. I sold a drill press like yours, but complete, and with a much better chuck (and a better table) for $150 - so be careful not to put too much $$ into it.
the bandsaw appears to be missing the table and all the parts that go with it - try the same source - HF and see what you can find - but again, don't put more than 1/2 of what a new one costs into it. For a motor, find something used for $5 or $10 max, there are plenty of old motors around - 3/4 HP will do. I can't tell if the saw guides are complete, you need to look at a parts list and see if they are all there. And, on that type of cheap bandsaw, the carrier for the upper wheel can fail (it happened on mine) - if that happens you need to make a new one

I put "Drill press" in the search at Harbor Freight in hopes of getting back hits related to the drillpress, and only got two pages with very little. Even "belts" brought back nothing related to the drill press.(What "handle" were you referring to?).
You said I need a motor pulley, but if you look at the pic:
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Tools/?action=view&current=DrillPress1.jpg it is there. Just not attached above the motor. It looks as though it has a wood dowel going through the center, so I assume I'm supposed to punch that out and fit it on the the motor spindle.
As for the Bandsaw, I didn't open it up further, but all the parts are in the pics. I also could not find much at Harbor Freight when I put "Bandsaw" in the search.
The problem is that I cannot search for a particular part number to find what I need. So I have no idea where I'm going to find a table.(I have no parts list).
And as for a motor, going by what you said I guess these are too expensive, correct?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160248789226 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320261926062 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320261926257 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320261926447 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120271851378 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300233215764 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330243079388 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120272748702
You said not to spend more than 1/2 of what a new one costs, but I wouldn't know what that would be, because these are no longer made. I did pick both machines up for $80 ,and was hoping that fixing them up would be a learning expeince, but unless I can find someone who can make what I need, it looks as though they may have to go out to the garbage.
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
**********************************************************************************************************************************************

1. most drill preeses like yours that I've seen have a jackshaft, so I presume that the pulley I see in the photo goes on the jack shaft, hence the missing motor pulley
2. your drill presss looks like this one to me http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberC378 go to HF and download the manual and see
3. your bandsaw is probably like this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber2208 go to HF and download the manual and see - you DL the manual here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/manuals.taf?f=form&ItemID2208

Ok, I'm confused. There is the shaft that comes out of the top of the motor in that pic. There are no other shafts.

Are you sure? Mine is a 5-speed. The one you referenced is a 16-speed. And mine has a 1/2 inch chuck, along with a JT 2-1/2 spindle. The one you referenced has a JT3 chuck and MT2 spindle.

I see a lot of differences. And I don't yet know what the piece on the lower left of this pic is for:
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Tools/?action=view&current=Bandsaw6.jpg
As of right now. The only thing I know I don't have is a table.
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York. **********************************************************************************************************************************************

ok, it's time for you do do some searching around - find the chinese import that most closely matches what you have and download the manuals and parts lists. If your drill press is a 5 speed and then just put it together - why are you asking questions?
as for the bandsaw, if that one is different, keep looking - but unless you have some idea of what your tool is supposed to look like, you will never get it together.

There are actually 3 shafts: one for the spindle, the "jackshaft" or "idler pulley" shaft, and the motor shaft.
The pulley on the motor shaft is missing as is one of the V-belts.
Your drillpress is set up the same way that my Craftsman is: a motor pulley identical to the spindle shaft pulley but mounted inverted that is connected by a V-belt to an idler pulley that is, also, connected by a second V-belt to the spindle pulley.
The speed of the spindle is determined by the placement of the V-belts and, on mine, range from 300 RPM to 4650 RPM in steps.
The slowest speed occurs with the motor pulley's V-belt on the smallest of the 5 steps [its top step] driving the idler pulley's largest step [its top step] and the idler pulley's smallest step [its bottom step] driving the spindle pulley's largest step [its bottom step].
IOW, that's not a 5-speed but a 15-speed drillpress that you bought. <grin>
To find a matching pulley for the motor, just measure the spindle pulley and get another one like it.
You'll also need a least a pair of V-belts, too.
FWIW, I just bought a replacement belt for mine at an autoparts store. <grin>
You may be able to do some v-e-r-y slow speed drilling by simply using the bare motor shaft to drive the motor-to-idler V-belt connection but you'll want to get a pulley for it if much torque is required.

**************************************
Don't think so.. It looks more like my Craftsman from the 60's that I inherited from Dad.
There are only TWO pulleys , that is, no idler, so the wooden dowel is just in the pulley-bore of that mystery-pulley in the middle for some sort of confusion factor - that pulley is most likely the motor pulley, check the ID of the bore with the motor shaft. One pulley for the motor, the other for the quill. The belt is tensioned by pivoting the motor until proper tension s achieved, this done with a screw below the belt-guard housing. The screw, in the case of Dad's Craftsman, swings out of alignment easily for belt-change, and just pops back in to hold position - simple.
Notice the pix, which shows a large open area for the motor to move about in the belt-housing.
Flash

I added another picture to show the pulley housing only has a place for two pulleys to fit on the motor and chuck spindle: http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Tools /

Even the manual says it's a 5-speed: http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/AMT_4030_Drill_Press.pdf

At lease I now know where to get spares. :-)

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

NOW I can see what you meant: the motor pulley had just been "parked" in the middle.
If that platform is sturdy enough, though, you can easily make it a 15- speed by fabricating an idler arm and putting a pulley on it. <grin>

No question, now. The longish belt is a dead giveaway.

Especially if you don't have a Big Box Store handy.

That piece in the lower left is the mount for the table. The two curved things are the guides for the swiveling table.
It probably bolts to the two diagonal holes on the c frame behind the lower guides.
Somewhere around here, I have a pair of very similar swivels off a 4" wood jointer. I will rummage around for them. Measure yours and get back to me. If they are the same, you might be able to use them to build a table.
Paul K. Dickman

I see a lot of differences. And I don't yet know what the piece on the lower left of this pic is for: http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Tools/?action=view&current ndsaw6.jpg
As of right now. The only thing I know I don't have is a table.
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York. **********************************************************************************************************************************************
Thanks a lot.
Those two holes are 2-3/4" from center to center.(And 5/8" from the edges).
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Darren;
I sent an email but it got bounced back.
Those aren't the measurements I need. Measure the curved parts. width, length, estimated radius of curve. Maybe some photos with a ruler.
The pieces I have would mate up with those curved pieces and then you could bolt a table to them.
Shoot me an email from a working address and we can take this off list.
Paul K. Dickman
wrote:

**********************************************************************************************************************************************
I posted photos here: http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Tools /
The part is 10" at it's longest.
The body is 3" wide.
And the curved portion is 3-1/4"(x 1-1/8").
The curve itself is about 2-3/4"(11/16 of a 4" diameter circle). The rails are 1/4" wide.
The thickness of the part varies.
E-mail sent.
Thanks.
[...]

Searcher7 wrote:

This'll get you started:
http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/AMT_4030_Drill_Press.pdf
--Winston
IIRC, AMT is out of business. But both units look like import specials.
Others have mentioned Harbor Freight for parts. Here's the trick to get part numbers: Stop in the store if they have one locally, get the model numbers for any that look close to what you have. Go to the website, download the user manuals, they almost always have a parts breakdown in the back. Figure out what you need, call HF customer service.
HF parts tend to be very modestly priced (the good news) but many of them have to be ordered from China and take weeks or months to get (the bad news)
The drill press is missing the 4 step pulley. Good item to get from HF parts.
The bandsaw seems to be almost complete. Upper guide, lower guide, table, table support, and stand. I don't see the little 'C' shaped table to table support locking pieces. I rarely use my table tilt feature, consider just bolting a pieces of 3/4" plywood or suitable sink cutout directly to the frame. Bolts are likely to be metric, don't force anything when replacing a bolt.
Searcher7 wrote:

You said that the drill press is missing the "4 step pulley". I don't understand. In this photo there are two 5-step pulleys:
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Tools/?action=view&current=DrillPress1.jpg
The one not attached has a wood dowel wedged through the center that obviously has to be removed so I can place it on the motor.
I measured the top wheel inside the bandsaw housing and it came out top 13-3/4 inches, so I assume that this would be considered a 14" bandsaw.
Of what you mentioned, the table and table support are what I don't have yet.(I just need to figure out what size I should be looking for).
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Sorry, couldn't count the steps! Normally there are 4 steps in each pulley. You need 3 pulleys to get this to work: one on the motor, one on the spindle, and the center one as an idler. The idler pulley will have one belt going each way so there are less than the 4x4 speeds. Sounds like you have all the parts, just needs to be reassmbled.
Sounds like a 14" bandsaw. The magic number you will need is the circumference around both wheels to get the necessary blade length. For this machine, it will likely be something like 91-1/2 to 93-1/2"
I presumed that pic bandsaw6 showed the table leaning up against the guard. On closer examination, it is the door to the guard assembly. So no table. But the bracket with the half round slots is the base for the table.
Searcher7 wrote:

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Tools/?action=view&current=DrillPress1.jpg

Inside the housing there is no place for a pulley in between the motor and the spindle.

I figured that had something to do with the missing table. I just have to figure out how to attach it.(I'm still looking for the manual, or one for a similar machine).
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.