Help: Drill Press Machine Project

I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but first I have to get to two project machines(Drill Press & Bandsaw) that I picked up a couple months ago.

I'm getting ready to clean them up, but I'd appreciate any recommendations on where I can get parts.

The Drill Press has a single phase 3/4" horse power motor that I'll have to take apart.(But I'd like to find a simular motor for the bandsaw).

Going by the pics, can anyone tell me if there are any specific parts I should be scouting for?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

your drill press needs a motor pulley - try harbor freight - it looks like the generic made in china unit, so there is an excellent change that the replacement pulley for a similar HF unit will be correct. Then you will need 2 V belts. You can use it with one handle missing, or buy a replacement handle. I sold a drill press like yours, but complete, and with a much better chuck (and a better table) for $150 - so be careful not to put too much $$ into it.

the bandsaw appears to be missing the table and all the parts that go with it - try the same source - HF and see what you can find - but again, don't put more than 1/2 of what a new one costs into it. For a motor, find something used for $5 or $10 max, there are plenty of old motors around -

3/4 HP will do. I can't tell if the saw guides are complete, you need to look at a parts list and see if they are all there. And, on that type of cheap bandsaw, the carrier for the upper wheel can fail (it happened on mine) - if that happens you need to make a new one

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

This'll get you started:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I put "Drill press" in the search at Harbor Freight in hopes of getting back hits related to the drillpress, and only got two pages with very little. Even "belts" brought back nothing related to the drill press.(What "handle" were you referring to?).

You said I need a motor pulley, but if you look at the pic:

is there. Just not attached above the motor. It looks as though it has a wood dowel going through the center, so I assume I'm supposed to punch that out and fit it on the the motor spindle.

As for the Bandsaw, I didn't open it up further, but all the parts are in the pics. I also could not find much at Harbor Freight when I put "Bandsaw" in the search.

The problem is that I cannot search for a particular part number to find what I need. So I have no idea where I'm going to find a table.(I have no parts list).

And as for a motor, going by what you said I guess these are too expensive, correct?

?ViewItem&rd=3D1&item=3D320261926062
?ViewItem&rd=3D1&item=3D320261926447
?ViewItem&rd=3D1&item=3D300233215764
?ViewItem&rd=3D1&item=3D120272748702 You said not to spend more than 1/2 of what a new one costs, but I wouldn't know what that would be, because these are no longer made. I did pick both machines up for $80 ,and was hoping that fixing them up would be a learning expeince, but unless I can find someone who can make what I need, it looks as though they may have to go out to the garbage.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

****************************************************************************= ******************************************************************
Reply to
Searcher7

IIRC, AMT is out of business. But both units look like import specials.

Others have mentioned Harbor Freight for parts. Here's the trick to get part numbers: Stop in the store if they have one locally, get the model numbers for any that look close to what you have. Go to the website, download the user manuals, they almost always have a parts breakdown in the back. Figure out what you need, call HF customer service.

HF parts tend to be very modestly priced (the good news) but many of them have to be ordered from China and take weeks or months to get (the bad news)

The drill press is missing the 4 step pulley. Good item to get from HF parts.

The bandsaw seems to be almost complete. Upper guide, lower guide, table, table support, and stand. I d> I have some metal and woodworking projects I'd like to get to, but

Reply to
RoyJ
  1. most drill preeses like yours that I've seen have a jackshaft, so I presume that the pulley I see in the photo goes on the jack shaft, hence the missing motor pulley

  1. your drill presss looks like this one to me
    to HF and download the manual and see

  2. your bandsaw is probably like this one
    to HF and download the manual and see - you DL the manual here:

You said I need a motor pulley, but if you look at the pic:

is there. Just not attached above the motor. It looks as though it has a wood dowel going through the center, so I assume I'm supposed to punch that out and fit it on the the motor spindle.

As for the Bandsaw, I didn't open it up further, but all the parts are in the pics. I also could not find much at Harbor Freight when I put "Bandsaw" in the search.

The problem is that I cannot search for a particular part number to find what I need. So I have no idea where I'm going to find a table.(I have no parts list).

And as for a motor, going by what you said I guess these are too expensive, correct?

?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320261926062
?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320261926447
?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300233215764
?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120272748702 You said not to spend more than 1/2 of what a new one costs, but I wouldn't know what that would be, because these are no longer made. I did pick both machines up for $80 ,and was hoping that fixing them up would be a learning expeince, but unless I can find someone who can make what I need, it looks as though they may have to go out to the garbage.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************
** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

You said that the drill press is missing the "4 step pulley". I don't understand. In this photo there are two 5-step pulleys:

The one not attached has a wood dowel wedged through the center that obviously has to be removed so I can place it on the motor.

I measured the top wheel inside the bandsaw housing and it came out top 13-3/4 inches, so I assume that this would be considered a 14" bandsaw.

Of what you mentioned, the table and table support are what I don't have yet.(I just need to figure out what size I should be looking for).

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

****************************************************************************= ******************************************************************
Reply to
Searcher7

Ok, I'm confused. There is the shaft that comes out of the top of the motor in that pic. There are no other shafts.

Are you sure? Mine is a 5-speed. The one you referenced is a 16-speed. And mine has a 1/2 inch chuck, along with a JT 2-1/2 spindle. The one you referenced has a JT3 chuck and MT2 spindle.

I see a lot of differences. And I don't yet know what the piece on the lower left of this pic is for:

As of right now. The only thing I know I don't have is a table.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

****************************************************************************= ******************************************************************
*=AD*******************************************************************
Reply to
Searcher7

ok, it's time for you do do some searching around - find the chinese import that most closely matches what you have and download the manuals and parts lists. If your drill press is a 5 speed and then just put it together - why are you asking questions?

as for the bandsaw, if that one is different, keep looking - but unless you have some idea of what your tool is supposed to look like, you will never get it together.

Ok, I'm confused. There is the shaft that comes out of the top of the motor in that pic. There are no other shafts.

Are you sure? Mine is a 5-speed. The one you referenced is a 16-speed. And mine has a 1/2 inch chuck, along with a JT 2-1/2 spindle. The one you referenced has a JT3 chuck and MT2 spindle.

I see a lot of differences. And I don't yet know what the piece on the lower left of this pic is for:

As of right now. The only thing I know I don't have is a table.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320261926062
?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320261926447
?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300233215764
?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120272748702>

***************************************************************************­*******************************************************************
** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

Sorry, couldn't count the steps! Normally there are 4 steps in each pulley. You need 3 pulleys to get this to work: one on the motor, one on the spindle, and the center one as an idler. The idler pulley will have one belt going each way so there are less than the 4x4 speeds. Sounds like you have all the parts, just needs to be reassmbled.

Sounds like a 14" bandsaw. The magic number you will need is the circumference around both wheels to get the necessary blade length. For this machine, it will likely be something like 91-1/2 to 93-1/2"

I presumed that pic bandsaw6 showed the table lean> You said that the drill press is missing the "4 step pulley". I don't

**********************************************************************************************************************************************
Reply to
RoyJ

Searcher7 wrote in news:585059e4-4d77-45fc-91e6- snipped-for-privacy@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

There are actually 3 shafts: one for the spindle, the "jackshaft" or "idler pulley" shaft, and the motor shaft.

The pulley on the motor shaft is missing as is one of the V-belts.

Your drillpress is set up the same way that my Craftsman is: a motor pulley identical to the spindle shaft pulley but mounted inverted that is connected by a V-belt to an idler pulley that is, also, connected by a second V-belt to the spindle pulley.

The speed of the spindle is determined by the placement of the V-belts and, on mine, range from 300 RPM to 4650 RPM in steps.

The slowest speed occurs with the motor pulley's V-belt on the smallest of the 5 steps [its top step] driving the idler pulley's largest step [its top step] and the idler pulley's smallest step [its bottom step] driving the spindle pulley's largest step [its bottom step].

IOW, that's not a 5-speed but a 15-speed drillpress that you bought.

To find a matching pulley for the motor, just measure the spindle pulley and get another one like it.

You'll also need a least a pair of V-belts, too.

FWIW, I just bought a replacement belt for mine at an autoparts store.

You may be able to do some v-e-r-y slow speed drilling by simply using the bare motor shaft to drive the motor-to-idler V-belt connection but you'll want to get a pulley for it if much torque is required.

Reply to
RAM³

**************************************

Don't think so.. It looks more like my Craftsman from the 60's that I inherited from Dad.

There are only TWO pulleys , that is, no idler, so the wooden dowel is just in the pulley-bore of that mystery-pulley in the middle for some sort of confusion factor - that pulley is most likely the motor pulley, check the ID of the bore with the motor shaft. One pulley for the motor, the other for the quill. The belt is tensioned by pivoting the motor until proper tension s achieved, this done with a screw below the belt-guard housing. The screw, in the case of Dad's Craftsman, swings out of alignment easily for belt-change, and just pops back in to hold position - simple.

Notice the pix, which shows a large open area for the motor to move about in the belt-housing.

Flash

Flash

Inside the housing there is no place for a pulley in between the motor and the spindle.

I figured that had something to do with the missing table. I just have to figure out how to attach it.(I'm still looking for the manual, or one for a similar machine).

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

I added another picture to show the pulley housing only has a place for two pulleys to fit on the motor and chuck spindle:

Even the manual says it's a 5-speed:

At lease I now know where to get spares. :-)

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

I figured that had something to do with the missing table. I just have to figure out how to attach it.(I'm still looking for the manual, or one for a similar machine).

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

the casting bolts to the bandsaw frame, and there are two (potmetal, usually) assemblies that bolt to it and allow the table to be angled, and they in turn bolt to the table. - look at the manual from HF or some place - they are all just about identical

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

Well, you are pretty good at misleading everyone. If you look at page 8 of this instruction manual,

will see a good drawing of a double reduction belt system with a step pulley in the middle.

For the bandsaw, the table mounting can clearly be seen in Fig Z on page

16 of
the parts diagram > >> Sorry, couldn't count the steps! Normally there are 4 steps in each
Reply to
RoyJ

???

Yes, but that is not my Drill Press.

That doesn't look like tyhe one in my picture, but it should be a simple matter to figure it out. I just have to find out what size table I should be looking for.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

****************************************************************************= ******************************************************************
Reply to
Searcher7

pulleys:

Hello Darren:

In the AMT online drill press manual, the pulley numbered 65 was intended to go on the *motor* *shaft*. That arrangement would give you five speeds using the long belt supplied with the machine. Probably runs around 700 rpm at the low end, and about 3000 rpm at the max. However, for metal work, even lower speeds would be very useful.

With your machine, if you were to buy another 4 or 5-step pulley to go on the motor shaft, and two *shorter* belts, you can get about 16 speeds. Belt 1 goes from the machine's spindle pulley to the other pulley that is currently installed. Belt 2 goes from that "other" pulley to the motor pulley. With that arrangement you can go down to about 200-250 rpm---very useful.

Hope this helps -- Terry

Reply to
prfesser

manual,

> you will see a good drawing of a double reduction belt system with a

You asked for comments on your drill press from a company that is out of business. You show a picture that looks very much like a 12 speed drill press layout. More than one poster comments on what parts are 'missing' since we can not inspect it closely. Then you complain that someone shows you something slightly different. Have you looked at ANY of the Harbor Freight manuals? If not, why not? Sheesh.

Reply to
RoyJ