Bought a Compressor

Condition is compltely unknown but it is hard to go wrong for $25.

The guy said, true or not, that he could not figure out how to wire it. He said it may have been 3 phase.

Ignoramus29659

Hit send too quickly.

This is a Champion compressor, the motor is 5 HP single phase Baldor, it seems as though the oil was possibly never changed in it at all (it would show signs of that near the oil drain, I think), the compressor was likely made in 1965, the tank looks like 60 gallons.

Also the pump itself, I think is a 10 HP pump, the 5 HP Baldor looks like an afterthought. I cannot believe that this 2 stage, 4 cylinder pump was made to go only to 5 HP.

Possibly someone tried to install this Baldor and failed to get it right and then this compressor made some rounds around a few people's garages or stayed in same garage. That would be the best scenario.

The worst scenario is that the pump is bad in some way or that the motor is bad.

The compressor has its starter removed , and lacks a gauge and regulator switch. I have that stuff in my pile of stuff. So we'll see how it goes.

I took some risk on it but I think that $25 is not too much to pay for an educational experience.

Ignoramus29659
5 HP Single phase Baldor motor buzzes loudly, does not run. i
Reply to
Ignoramus29659

Hmm ... looks like the motor nameplate says 1 phase -- but it also says 25 Amps, which will make it difficult to run from the average outlet. :-)

I think that you got a deal, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You might want to check the tank for rust on the inside. Being ove 40 years old the tank may be rusted out from the inside. I bought a compressor once that had that problem, the original owner left it sitting a long time without draining the tank. When i started it up there were pin holes all along the bottom of the tank. Might save you a lot of time and expense to stick a bore scope in one of the inspection ports.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:06:20 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus29659 quickly quoth:

The motor tag says 5hp 250V 60Hz 25A 1PH. Good snag.

-- Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of nonessentials. -- Lin Yutang

Reply to
Larry Jaques

We had a similar pump on a bigger tank at my former employers. It had a 7.5hp 3 phase motor on it.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

You would not recall what size motor pulley was on it? Looks similar?

Anyway Wayne, I don't know if you saw my other threads, but I will keep trying a few things as I already got some hopeful results (motor spins the pump, but only slowly). I will bring it closer to power plug so that there is less voltage drop, to see at least 240v on motor terminals.

The pulley seems smaller than it could have been. That gives me some hope.

Ignoramus20633

Check it with no load and then check to see if the compressor pulley turns freely before putting the belt back on. If you already know to do this, please disregard the post. :-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

I don't remember any details unfortunately. The pump looks about the same though.

Yep. You'll just have to check it when you get it running. If it draws to many amps then you need a bigger motor. \

Reply to
Wayne Cook

1) bad start capacitor 2) Bad centrifugal switch (stuck open) 3) Bad start winding.

Does it start if you spin it with a rope just prior to switching power to it?

Is this on the compressor? If so, have you tried with the belt disconnected to eliminate a stuck compressor itself?

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The issue was two things, bad starting winding contacts (needed cleaning), and bad starting caps. I replaced them, cleaned contacts, and the motor runs strong.

Reply to
Ignoramus20633

Great!

Enjoy, DoN.