What is wrong with this compressor?

I'm about ready to purchase a compressor for my power hammer and I'm going through the ones on MSC, and I see this:

Ok, this one says that is runs 30cfm, and is about $400 less than the ones that say they run at 24cfm. I do see that it is a single stage rather than a two stage compressor. The hammer uses about 20-22cfm. Any reason I shouldn't get this?

Reply to
Todd Rich

For that kind of cash get a used Quincy.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

this:

If you don't have any applications requiring high pressure this should be great.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

rigger wrote: (snip)

Everything in the forecast looks to need less than 120psi. Probably closer to 100psi.

Reply to
Todd Rich

TP Tools has free shipping on their 7.5hp compressor:

I've purchased a bunch of stuff from them... been very happy.

Reply to
David Courtney

Might be really loud and hot and not last long. Lots of off-brand compressors are.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You gets what you pays for in this kind of equipment.

When I was young and foolish I bought a crapsman 2hp compressor. It died in a couple years, so I bought a crapsman 4hp. Only to find out the horses had gotten smaller, it didn't put out a bit more usable air. It died within a couple years.

I found a Quincy 7.5 hp. two stage at an auction 15 years ago. So far, I've had to tighten the belt once.

I also got a PTO Quincy compressor for pruning. It runs over 1000 hours a year. I've had a lot more trouble with it - had to tighten the belt at least five times now.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I have three matched belts on each Quincy. Never had to tighten them...I better check now.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

OBTW, send the box-o-parts.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Just as soon as my working hours drop below 100 hours a week, I will. Strongest demand I've seen in years.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

It says "30 cubic feet", but at what pressure does it do that? I'd want to know that for any compressor I'd buy. The worst case is when they give you "free air" pumping rate. The pumping rate goes down rapidly as the pressure goes up. I would want to know that parts are available locally. For instance, one of my kids tipped my IR outfit over and knocked off the intake filter. the other kid works a couple of miles from a dealership, so it was no big deal.

Power hammer, eh? I take it you get into blacksmithing. Are you hooked up with a club? See what they other members like. They may have been through this already. Also, I'd consider contacting the company you bought the machine from or the guys who provided the plans if you built it yourself.

Personally, I'd go for the 2 stage model, since you can store more power in the tank at higher pressures. As you know, you can't hardly use the power hammer 100 percent of the time anyway so, unless you are a production shop, the lower rate probably won't be an issue.

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------------

Todd Rich wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Yeah, I've seen the "free air" stat occasionally. I need 20cfm @ 100psi.

Not with a club, but I've worked with several other blacksmiths and used mechanical hammers before. I've also gone to the ABANA conference and gone through Kinyon's class. I am also involved with online smithing communities. However, while they mention generalities with compressor needs (2 stage, large tank (80 gal or better), go by cfm, not HP, get the proper plumbing for it, filters, and dryers, proper mounting/isolation pad), they tend not to get too specific on brands and actual models. I didn't actually see that it was single stage until after I started the post, but wasn't sure exactly how much of a difference that made, so I figured I'd finish out the post. Oh and the plans are the Ron Kinyon ones through ABANA. I'll be going with some of the more popular modifications. I'm down to just needing to get the compressor, valving, plumbing, and ram.

There is a Campbell Hausfeld 2 stage that is carried by Grizzly that is

27cfm at 90psi, and 25cfm at 175psi.
I'm close enough I can pick it up in person and not worry about shipping. But I'll check Ebay and Craigslist first to see if there is a decent used one I can get locally. I've already got 240v available.
Reply to
Todd Rich

We don't NEED no stinking sleep!

Reply to