Advice: Drill Press and Band Saw pick-up

I'm about to leave to get an AMT 5 Speed Drill Press and an unknown Band saw.

I see the rust, but was wondering what those here would do.

I don't think it'll last long, so please let me know.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Searcher7 wrote in news:9ae7c16e-d111-48b6-94d3- snipped-for-privacy@b64g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

Pick up a jar or two of Naval Jelly on your way back home.

Don't delay too long waiting for more replies - get moving!

Reply to
Eregon

Me, I'd try to keep him talking on the phone. :->

That way he's not in touch with anyone else!

Go!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

By now, it's likely already gone. I'd have probably called and locked it up as soon as I saw the ad. The bandsaw looks like a taiwanese 14" delta clone like the one I had that worked well for years. Even if there isn't a motor in the base (where it should be mounted) it would be a great deal so long as the drill press is operating.

From the pic, it looks like the rust is surface rust (which happens to everyone in humid climates), which should clean up without much problem. Once cleaned up, an application of Johnson Paste Wax (or any of another hundred suggestions from others) will keep the rust at bay.

Good Luck

Reply to
Rick Frazier

Thanks.

Flag his ad for me so no one else sees it.

Just kidding. :-)

(I'm on my way).

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

There isn't anything else but LPS-3.

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------

Rick Frazier wrote:

an application of Johnson Paste Wax (or any of another

Reply to
spaco

Except it does not work well.

Ignoramus11166

Ok.

I paid for both and got the drill press home. I couldn't get in touch with my friend who has a van so I went over and carried the drill press back(in a big canvas bag). :-)

He said the drill press was "new".(He had never used it).

I'll pick up the band saw tomorrow.(I concentrating on the drill press so much that I had forgotten to get the info on the band saw, but will post that info when I pick it up tomorrow).

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Done. :-)

I paid for both and have the drill press. I will be picking up the band saw tomorrow afternoon.

Now all I need is a table saw.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks. :-)

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

I don't know whether to rotflmao or tip my hat to your strategy. :)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

This is the table saw info I got from the seller:

"Hi, the saw appears to be from 1938. It is model #10102148. The blade appears to be 6" I honestly don't think it works since I don't see an electrical cord of any sort. Let me know if you're interested in this. Thanks."

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Hup, Sarge!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Works fine for me in my receiver tubes, when I remember to re-apply every couple of years.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Awright!

First thing I'd try on the column of the drillpress would be steel wook soaked with WD-40. This is one of the very few places where I think WD-40 is worth anything at all. If that really is just surface rust as it appears to be, this might work very nicely. (It has for me) If it does, then immediately clean off the WD-40 with solvent (paint thinner works) and apply something else: LPS-3, way oil, chainsaw bar oil, gun oil, wax, vaseline, rat fat ...anything but WD-40!

I've heard that the oil found at junctures of nose and cheek on illegal aliens has miraculous lubricating and rust-preventive properties. It is best applied using the source as an appplicator. An assistant may be required. Donors may be found at the nearest social security / handout office. They'll be in front of the seniors who paid into SS for decades.

Reply to
Don Foreman

there is an anti-rust oil called SDB that shell offers - it is very thin and penetrating and it leaves a waxy film. There are a number of industrial rust dips - I got a couple at WESTEC - some are water based - they all work well, particularly if you help with a bit of steel wool.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

Wes wrote in news:0dyOj.58009$pm2.30433@en-nntp-

04.dc1.easynews.com:

Wouldn't that depend upon whether the OP has a cell phone or not?

Reply to
RAM³

Searcher7 wrote in news:8d7df31e-2012-45e2-9ce3- snipped-for-privacy@a1g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Keep looking.

New 10" table saws, with stands, can often be had for around $100.

Reply to
RAM³

I'm with you on the wd40 (for cleaning) but I really like using scotchbrite pads instead of steel wool. I've had good luck with Jonnson Paste Wax for floors on ww machines.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

That drill press sold for around $80 new in the early 1980's without an electric motor. I have two of them, the spindle/quills are so sloppy that they are next to useless. Maybe someday I'll get around to fixing that problem...

Try running the quill down and inch or two and then see how much play you have before you spend too much time cleaning it up.

You can find a decent copy of the manual here:

Norm posted them awhile back, he did a nice job scanning them.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Absolutely!

Reply to