Advice: Drill Press and Band Saw pick-up

3-
I left a message, but have yet to receive an answer.
Getting back to the Drill Press and Bandsaw, I now also have the bandsaw in my posession. Both machines will need some cleaning up and are obviously in need of parts.
I haven't taken the machines apart(any more than they already are). But I did take some pics of what I have if anyone wants to see them, or can give me easier instructions on how to post to the drop box than is found on the Metalworking.com site).
I have Mark Duginske's Bandsaw handbook to get me started, and would appreciate recommendations for a Drill Press book.
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
Reply to
Searcher7
Aye, lad, they booth still worrrrk ... but aye doont think aye can clap after each rrrep anymorrre, certainly not with yoorrr boots on me back...
Reply to
Don Foreman
WOW that stuff is expensive! I spray LPS-3 on relatively low value stuff like scrap steel and corrugated roofing. Boeshield or CorrosionX could cost more than what they protect.
I bought a pump spray bottle and gallon refill of LPS-3 and put some in a needle oiler. The aerosol cans are wasteful and limit how it can be applied.
I have had better results outdoors by diluting it with kerosine so it wicks into crevices and spreads out before drying. It lasts a lot longer when the surface has some rust or mill scale to absorb it.
LPS-3 is not a very good lube but it stops corrosion on aluminum+brass +stainless pulleys exposed to rain and wood smoke. Those pulleys don't rotate under load. The ones that do get marine lower unit grease.
Rustlick 631 works well enough on my indoor machinery. It's fairly inexpensive and cleaner than LPS-3 for tools that will be handled.
Jim Wilkins
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:51:31 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:
You should have just rolled over and unbuttoned your shirt so he could see the heart surgery scars, saying "And that's after heart surgery, punk!" (Or did you just get a stent? I know far too many old farts to remember who had what with all the surgeries any more. ;)
I hear that.
-- It's a sad day when you find out that it's not accident or time or fortune, but just yourself that kept things from you. -- Lillian Hellman
Reply to
Larry Jaques
No. Keep looking for a Sears 10" saw with separate motor (NOT the contractor type with internal motor). They can be had for the same $100 price. I actually got one for free (No motor though)
Searcher7 wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
A thought for the next time this happens: If you paid for both items, can only bring one home, make sure you take any vital small parts for the second unit. If you have the miter fence, motor, and inserts, it makes the rest of the unit much less valuable to another buyer.
Reply to
RoyJ
Ok. I'll keep my eyes open, since I do have several circular saws, I won't be under pressure until a great deal comes up.
All I really need at the present is a metal bender for 1/8" sheet steel.
Now here are my $80 projects:

I will have to take both machines apart, but I'm sure I'll need parts.
Any recommendations on a motor for the Band Saw once I get to that point?
And as I said I have been reading Mark Duginske's "Bandsaw handbook", but would appreciate a good drill press book recommendation.
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
Reply to
Searcher7
My 12" works with 1/4 HP quite nicely.
Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
I'd also like to point out that someone in my area is selling these for $50 a piece:

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
Reply to
Searcher7
The drill press has a 3/4hp motor and I'd like to get a simular one for the bandsaw.
Also I'd appreciated recommendations for the best place for parts.
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
Reply to
Searcher7