Needed: Small Standardized Parts

Are there any amateur inventors here who frequently buy small plastic parts?(Parts that may need little in the way of machining).

I was hoping to get ideas about where to get preferrably standardized parts that are relatively simple geometric shapes for the projects I'd like to put together.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

What sort of parts and in what sort of plastic?

Reply to
Mike Henry

Probably mostly Delrin and nylon.(But I'm open to ideas).

Is there some sort of mini-lathe or mini-mill I can get that would help me in creating non-standard parts? Most of these parts will not be complicated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

See replies to your other post. It would still help to have an idea of the size of the parts, general features to be machined, and required accuracy.

For example, drilling 1/4" (+/- 0.020") holes in a plate located to +/-

1/32" would require much more than hand drill, reasonably sharp bit, and a ruler.

Doing the same to +/- 0.0001" accuracy would be another matter entirely.

Reply to
Mike Henry

I don't need that kind of accuracy. Don't most nmaterials flex, expand and contract more than that? :-)

The kind of accuaracy you can get with a drill press, lathe, mill, ect. is adequate.

My main projects will begin with pieces that are 4" square or 4" in diameter, and I'll have to create various sized holes and slots in these pieces.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

The point I was trying to make is that you should have some sort of idea on the accuracy you need as well as the features you want.

Lathes and mills (and to some extent drill presses) are all capable of accuracy in the 0.0001" range under certain circumstances, so that "kind of accuracy" doesn't really mean much.

Assuming that you would be generally happy with 0.005" accuracy and don't need anything better, pay a visit to your local Harbor Freight store and buy a lathe and mill. McMaster-Carr can sell you Delrin and Nylon in various forms and sizes.

Reply to
Mike Henry

Take a look at MicroMark

have an impressive looking lath and a milling machine for hobbiests. Not being a metal worker I can't say how good these machines work but they are fairly inexpensive and look like the real deal. Richard

Reply to
Richard

I do. There is only so much one can do with a lathe or mill the size I am looking for, but as long as it's adequate for this first project of mine it'll have to do.

I have the Delrin and Nylon need to work with. The thing is that I am not familiar with tooling. I know what I want to do, but will probably have to find the correct newsgroup to post requests for the preferrable machine and tooling to use.

Perhaps my first purchase should be a drill press, and perhaps make some special jigs for use with it, so I can make those holes and slots with normal drill bits.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Try the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup. There are some helpful people there once you get past the political messages. If you have a sketch of a typical part you want to make, upload a scan of it to

in the Drop Box area. Post a link to that image in your message on rcm and you'll get better replies.

A drill press is often a good first purchase. Most mills can function as drill presses, though, so you might consider just getting a mill if space or budget is limited.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry