Insulated Rubber Backing

I need a rubber backing material for some low voltage electrical
contacts because there has to be a slight give when the contacts come
together, and I was hoping to get recommendations on what kind of
rubber to use. (The voltages will be in the order of +5, -5, +12. -12,
& +24).
I was looking at rubbers made for gaskets and I'm trying to decide
between Nitrile, Styrene Butadiene/Natural Rubber blend, and generic
cork rubber..
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Reply to
Searcher7
Could you explain more about why you need the contacts to "give" when closed? You would not want to disturb the wiping action of the contacts.
Tom
Reply to
Tom Biasi
It seems that everyone else just uses spring-loaded contacts. my cordless phone, my computers's cpu, my camera flash ...
if you must use something flexible and waterproof "+1" for neutral cure RTV silicone
Reply to
Jasen Betts
It will be a row of 16 contacts and the idea is to make sure that each contact will mate consistently with it's opposite when the top and bottom rows come together.
Nylon blocks serve as the supports over which the contacts are laid, and the I want the thin rubber to go between the blocks and the contacts. This way none of the contacts will separate as a result of vibration.
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
Reply to
Searcher7
So I gather that you made this contact arrangement. Usually the contacts are held together by springs and the wiper arm is spring material and arranged so that the contacts slide as they contact. Thin rubber supplying the closure force in quite unorthodox.
Tom
Reply to
Tom Biasi