Gangsaw for Cutting Strips

It is a PITA cutting Phosphor-Bronze strips from sheet material with a box cutter, and I was hoping to get advice on a better way to do this.

I was thinking that it should be possible to make a gangsaw for one of my machines.

The strips will need to be about 1/12" wide, and I figure if I could find a way to slide sheets of Phosphor-Bronze(.032" thick and under) under a gangsaw and then breaking off the strips it would be a lot faster.

I'd appreciate any ideas/suggestions on how the experts would go about accomnplishing this.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

How long are the strips? Have you considered a simply paper cutter/trimmer?

You could also make a rotary paper trimmer sort of thing, using round carbide cutting inserts such as found on lathe and mill tooling

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Before we go any further, I first visited this project in this thread: "Making Electrical Contacts(Phosphor Bronze)".

At the time using a box cutter seemed to be the best way to do this, but it is still tedious and difficult.

The 1/2" long strips which I am making now are about 1/12" wide, and have to mate with professionally manufactured edge connector contacts which are .156" inches wide(which is about 1/12", going by my naked eye).

Anyway, I was looking for suggestions on the best way to set up a gangsaw to make the initial cuts accurate and deep enough to allow me to break off the strip after sliding the Phosphor-Bronze sheet under the gangsaw(which I still have to make).

I know this won't be easy, but if I can get a set up like this together it would be a lot more accurate and faster than doing it by hand.

Thanks.

Darren

Reply to
Searcher7

A small sheetmetal shear would make quick work of this, you'd use stops to get consistant positioning of the stock. I have a small 3- in-1 that I picked up from HF for just such jobs. If you're doing this for money, it might pay you to look into something like it.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Before making a gang saw, try mounting a slitting saw (like #25 or #40 at bottom of

) on a half-inch arbor chucked in your minilathe. (Of course, if you had a mill, that would be the proper way to run a slitting saw, and a #3 MT slitting saw arbor with drawbar would be the proper way to mount one on your lathe, but I think you can run tests ok just chucking the saw arbor in a 3-jaw chuck.) Then clamp some phosphor-bronze sheet to the compound. (Eg, temporarily replace the tool block with a couple of

2"-square plates with 1-cm holes.) Use cross-slide feed for the 1/2"-long-cut, and compound feed for the 1/12" width. Possibly support the bronze sheet on a sacrificial sheet of 1/8" aluminum.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

So one of these cutters wont work?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Saw =3D waste Shear=3D no waste Pexto shear or Wysong or the like, if thin enough a tabletop paper cutter.

Reply to
beecrofter

Do you off hand remember the model number of the sheetmetal shear you have?

I'm not at all familiar with these tools, so I can't imagine how to use stops with it.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Ok, I'm tryng ot imagine what you are saying. Along with my mini-lathe I do have a HF Milling machine, but it is in need of some work.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Well, the idea was not to cut all the way through the sheets.

I just need to make a pass that is deep enough so that I could break the strips off afterwards.

Since one doesn't exist, designing some sort of tool that would allow me to slide rows of sharp blades across thin sheet metal would seem to be a project.

Thanks.