Advice Please: Cutting Brass Strips

I have some K & S "shim brass" sheets. The kind you get from a hobby shop.

I need to cut it into thin strips and don't think that a paper cutter, snips, heavy duty kitchen shears, or a nibbler would be suitable for making strips that will need to be either 1/8th or 1/4th of an inch wide.

Since the thickness of these wheet will range from .015 to .032, Is it plausible to score the metal with a Stanley knife or something simular, and break it apart by hand?

If so, any recommendations on the best knife for this purpose would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Darren Harris

jerry Wass

Or a shear - Di Acro makes a nice that will probably run $300 or more for a

12" shear and more for a larger one. The import 3in1s run about the same, I think, and might be acceptable for this kind of duty.

Reply to
Mike Henry

The strips will likely curl, due to the bias cut of a shear blade. (Just about guarantee it)

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Mcmastercar has it 1/4 inch wide 1 foot long .032 thick, 15 peices for $12

page 3421

Reply to
TLKALLAM8

Clamp a straightedge to guide your blade. Several light passes will work nicely. Exacto, box cutter, or utility knife will do.

mj

Reply to
michael

I usually mark it with a narrow maker and cut it with my aviation snips. It does curl. I usually hammer it flat or pull it over a smooth rod. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Special shapes,

sells brass strips from 1/64 (015) to

3/16 (.188) in widths from 1/32 to 1/2 -- all 36" long -- prices range from $1.50 to $4.00 depending on size. They are very reliable and have the best range of shapes and the best prices I have found anywhere. They supply K&S who repackages for hobby shops. How to best cut strips from shim stock. The short answer is "don't." For small quantities, I would never start with shim stock. I'd just anneal a brass wire and tap it flat with a small jeweler's planishing hammer. But if you insist on doing it the hard way, it depends completely on how much you need, how long the piece has to be, and how accurate they have to be. For larger quantities, assuming I foolishly insisted on doing it from shim stock, I'd use a pair of jeweler's tin snips. You can cut strips that thin or less with it, in fairly heavy material -- but --(1) it takes a lot of practice till you learn the hang of it --- and (2) good snips are very expensive -- about $50 -- and don't expect to cut that fine with regular sized tin snips -- even good one. Buys a hell of a lot of strips from special shapes inc.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer
2x?uUËnÛH¼ó+úd'?ÂX?9ë ,öa\?ìÂÇ!Ù$$g?y?áßoõÂÖA?æQ]]]Ý|²?Jû?ʨpÊ{Ò&XòÁéÑ?LT}??CK??2=ÏôÊ:úf?AË3?hãü??©p?\jÕÓÝh=S? 'Èi»´N?fY?3v«§Óõ3Sô`?\?9³rÈÎä ê)U§]-?²K¤\Î4:[???QÎ?þô@?d$¬Í5?ð(?㨪×ùg\×\ "¸$?Ck«\ªêB?¤R÷?üèØû(@¢¦6%ñ?ÉÉó©,??æ?Fø¥??ÎIý I]ÎN¹B/IÑá?è? ?j ÔåÉÆk\??;+ú?kÎ?"????¨á :?çsÌ{¦W8?ñO5?=¿Þ??kúÊwò jd)?.lv?O`?K?HÌSeuÈz¤?:F?Wz=?r6? ¤ÿû+Ë7?,»úmxøEcC_ðÐ~Y¢«>
Reply to
Wild Bill

Making inlay strips?

You might want to try clamping your shim stock between two hardwood blocks when you try it. You should be able to score through material that thin with repeated cuts, maybe alternate sides to avoid a really large turned edge. You might also be able to adjust the width using the same method and a block plane to do the trimming. As to what knife, whatever you've got that's sharp. A utility blade should work, a hooknose might work better.

I've found that Lenox makes bimetal utility knife blades, these are really superior stuff and available at the regular home improvement places, not just industrial suppliers. Bulk packs of 50 were about $12. Outlasts the cheapies(and not-so-cheapies) 2 or 3 to 1. Get them while you can, if I like them, it's a sure sign they'll be discontinued, soon.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

Thanks for all the advice.

I think I'll go wioth scoring the brass with a knife and then breaking it.

I also assume that those places mentioned are good for picking up some phosphor bronze to use for my pupose also.

Thanks again.