Control Panel Project

I need to create a control panel to replace one on a full sized coin-
operated arcade video game.
The original control panel made of plywood, which is covered by veneer
on the outside, has roughly a "U" shape with a metal bracket in the
center for added support.

The control panel pictured is 24" long, and looking at it from on
edge, the width of all three sides is 3-3/4" x 6" x 7".
Making the control panel exactly the same way as the original would be
too difficult, so I was thinking of making one by bending 1/8" sheet
metal into the same shape of the original control panel(an 11 degree
bend), and screwing wood boards to the inside to get the proper
thickness, and adding "L" shaped braces to the inside for support, but
I was wondering how others would tackle a project like this.
*** The only major difference is that the top side of the control
panel where the joysticks are located would be detachable.
I don't know if there is a plausible way to make the edges rounded
like the original, so I'll settle for sharper bends.
I settled on Aluminum for the metal parts because steel would require
serious bending equipment I don't have access to. And I guess that
plywood can be used, but may go with one of the hardwoods.(The
proportion of metal and wood in this project is still an open issue).
Any thoughts, ideas, or tool/material recommendations would be
appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Reply to
Searcher7
The original panel looks solid. Why not just recover it? You could even glass over it. Any repairs woyld be covered, and would be much less work than recreating the original. JR Dweller in the cellar
-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses -------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability: -------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."
Reply to
JR North
If the original panel is solid, you could recover it with various plastic sheets, aluminum or even stainless. The bends are easy, just anchor one edge, wrap the aluminum sheet over the panel, pull the edge tight across the panel. Anchor, drill suitable holes.
JR North wrote:
RoyJ
There is nothing wrong with the original control panel.
This project involves creating another control panel of the same dimensions that I can swap in it's place. But the new control panel will have a *detachable top*.
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York. ****************************************************************************= ******************************************************************
Reply to
Searcher7
Looks like a Williams control panel. I've got one in the garage I'd let you have for $20 plus shipping. You'd have to patch a few holes but you wouldn't have to build the whole thing. Pretty sure I have the aluminum panel that goes over it too. Otherwise you can just copy the one you have. Glue and butt joints work fine for those. I might use pocket screws if I made a new one unless I was worried about authenticity.
Reply to
dayvo
In order to access the sticks and switches without pulling the panel? In that case, just cut the top off, flange the panel body with some aluminum angle and screw the top back on. If you cut cleanly, the seam would be insignificant. JR Dweller in the cellar
Searcher7 wrote:
**********************************************************************************************************************************************
Reply to
JR North
I seem to be having a difficult time getting someone to understand me.
I am not looking for another Williams control panel. And I am not looking to hack an existing Williams control panel.
I am creating a Williams control panel *from scratch*. The only difference is that it will be in two pieces, because I want to be able to swap the control panel's top.
Basically, my question comes down to finding the best way to get that angle shown in the first picture.

Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
***=AD*******************************************************************
Reply to
Searcher7
Start with some 16 ga (.062") aluminum stock, clamp the first straight section to a bench top using a board. Clamp two more boards across the ending straight section, leaving the bend area unsupported. Lift up on the double boards until you get enough bend.
Searcher7 wrote:
***************************************************************************­*******************************************************************
Reply to
RoyJ
The radius of the bend(whatever that turns out to be) by itself would not be an issue.
Also consistency from part to part would be easy.
The problem is figuring out what size(width) to start out with so that the width of both "wings" after bending is what they are supposed to be.
I guess corrosion won't be a problem once I paint and add an overlay the the metal, but I'm wondering whether there would be enough dimensional stability, since all the metal control panels I've seen are steel, I believe thicker, and therefore more ridgid.
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
Reply to
Searcher7