Griz G4003G

Anyone here have a Grizzly G4003G 12 X 36 Metal lathe? Looking for opinions of it as a replacement for my old Sheldon 11 X 56 vintage

1942. Comments would be appreciated
Reply to
Gerry

Looking for

Gerry

I am not real familar with the Sheldon 11 X 56 but a new lathe even near its size will be several thousand. If you have the room I would spend the money on the Sheldon and don't look back.

So does the Sheldon have a quick change gear box? The motor is probably old but new ones are relatively inexpensive. A month or two of disassembly, cleaning and reassembly should be all you need to do. Put in new bearings if needed and available. Bring the electricity up to date. Maybe get the ways ground.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Gerry

Found this for the Sheldon lathe.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

If you make the switch, I might be interested in the Sheldon if you live within 500 miles of Orlando.

Carl Boyd

Reply to
Carl

On page 24 of the June/July 2008 issue of Machinist's Workshop there is a review article titled "The Grizzly G4003G Gunsmith Lathe". The author liked the G4003G.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I have been nickle and diming the Sheldon for years. Finally had enough. Plain bearings in the headstock, worn ways in crossfeed and compound, worn tailstock and lots of wear in the apron are the main problems. I could spend the price of the Griz on the sheldon trying to make it right again. I might have considered that path if I could find someone in south Louisiana that could repair it's problems and parts to do it with. Parts I have bought from the Sheldon supplier are priced outragously. A few years ago I paid $200 for a crossfeed nut. One gear in the apron I needed more recently was over $400 from the present supplier. It served me well for over 10 years but now will not turn anything but aluminum and plastic without major chatter

Reply to
Gerry