Tool Post Advice for 12x36

Greetings all,

I have an old model 100 Clausing 12x36. I'm looking for recommendations for inexpensive quick release tool-post.

TIA,

AG

Reply to
AG

Quick-change (like with dedicated tool holders) or quick-release as in the post holds the tools, not separate too-holders?

Enco's got a quick-change post alone for in the $150 range, and the holder/post set with seven holders for roughly $350.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

================ Several questions:

1- how much do you want to spend?

2- do you want to "roll your own?"

3- is time worth more to you than money?

A simple, easy to machine and very flexible system is the omnipost by KRF. Faceplate and milling attachment are all you need.

see

Most likely you will want to order the index base as this is "fiddly to machine. Plans are available. see for student produced units as class project.
Be reminded that you can rig a milling attachment using an inexpensive angle plate from Enco [c. 15$US] and your compound/topslide. see
Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

The Phase II brand(sliding wedge style) has received pretty good reviews in this group. The tool holders are good quality, but the set screws are lousy. You can get good replacement screws at

Phase II is sold at
plus lots of other stores.

Sometimes the used equipment dealers have US made Aloris or Dorian posts for sale but usually in larger sizes than you need (BXA). Phase II holders will fit them.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Meda imports are 1/2 price of Aloris; I think 7-8 pc BxA set is about $250. A guy here in Yonkers has'em used, variety of brands, sizes.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

That 12" lathe is right on the line between AXA and BXA. From what I've seen posted over the years, most with 12" lathes have decided the AXA was the best fit. Perhaps someone with this actual lathe can address this. If the AXA size fits, consider the $89 Phase II piston type from Enco. While the wedge-type is arguably more repeatable, many of us would never be able to tell the diff. And if it doesn't work out, you got a good deal on 5 toolholders for your new Aloris

Reply to
Rex B

Definitely BXA on a 12-inch lathe for added rigidity and range, although you could get by with the AXA. I'm happy with the Phase II from Enco. I just wish they would sell individual holders for so much more than in the sets.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Reply to
jcummings03

I'll jump in here,

I have a BXA clone on my Clausing 5914 12x36. IMHO an AXA would be too small, the BX works dandy fine.

FWIW I have a few 'real deal' Aloris holders and they fit it perfectly .

You outfit it with some indexable holders and it's a sweet deal.

I was doing some work yesterday on some ugly old .750 cold roll took a .200 cut at slowest feed and low RPM and got a baby ass smooth finish :-)

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

I should have been more precise:

This is a hobby lathe which probably needs a fair amount of work just to get it to specs. I do not want to spend a fortune on the tool post and I can't really "roll my own" as it will require more time and talent and tools than I have. I'm just starting metal work and have yet to order the milling machine.

I take it from the posts here that BXA is appropriate size for this 12x36 but I've seen various imports on EBAY in an interesting price range and wondered if they are too cheap to be any good.

AG

Reply to
AG

I don't recall what make/model your lathe is, but I've used the AXA on a Craftsman 12" and it worked just fine. The BXA is beefier, for sure, but that size also sometimes gets in the way. There is only one thing cheaper to get you started, and that is a lantern toolpost. I have a bunch of toolholders in the right size I'd sell you for not much. I also have a lantern toolpost or two that might work. I think they came from Craftsman 10" lathes.

Reply to
Rex B

I can't comment on a Clausing, as sadly they're a luxury we don't get to enjoy down here in Oz, but I have a BXA clone on my import 12 x 36 and it's perfect for it. An AXA type would have been too small, and the "kit" with 5 assorted tool holders was only 120 buck US from a very reliable US ebay seller.

Best money I ever spent. Too bad I bought the lathe though :)

-- Regards, Noddy.

Reply to
Noddy

Why would anyone want a quick release , it needs indexing so quick change is the only way ... Why not design / make your own , the material need not be hard nor pricise as the set up is what needs precision . Ya gotta clock in the bit , so why not adjust the home made holder with set screws and clock it and you saved lots of money and are a real engineer , not just a machine shop "engineer" ....

Try it ! Its far more fun to design your own ...

Im doin a tiny HF lathe and figure most times ya dont need indexing in the horiz , just bit ht , but its nice to drop a tool holder in thats parallel to head for boring and such . So i drill 2 holes down thru the swivel rest and tap new smaller holes and now the access holes can be smaller and they double as index holes , i can use them to index the holder instead of using the tiny 'ratchet" pawl thats std .

If i get time im making a dove tailed drill press ( MT3 ) using cheap automotive flat belts ( flip em over, dont use the groovy) The motor is the excellent speed control motor from a HF 7 y 10 lathe . You wont believe how good torque is !! No round tube !! It will be a rectangular col' / I-beam !!! Now an X-Y table with knee ........

oh yea , head is removeable for magnetic chuck portable drilling ....

Lloyd E. Sp> > Greetings all,

Reply to
werty

I have a 11" and use / picked the AXA size. read and measure - what is the block base square footprint doing on your machine - is it hanging over ? if so there isn't support under - just in the metal itself.

I picked the AXA and I'm pleased I did.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Richard J K>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On my HF 33274 12x36 lathe, the compound slide is a little bigger than the BXA toolpost base, so I use a BXA there.

On my Logan 1957 11x36 lathe, the compound slide is significantly smaller than the BXA, and thus I have to use an AXA there, like you're doing on whatever 11" you're using.

The more modern Chinese lathe is only 1" bigger swing, but many items like the carriage and compound are much beefier, compared to the venerable 50- year-old Logan, I regret to admit.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Same here. I first got a BXA for my 11" Delta, but it wouldn't fit. The centerline was too high. Even with the AXA, I had to make a 1/4" riser to clear the cutout on the compound. Works great.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor