ideas for work truck slide out gurney

Hi,I have a 6'x 40" particle board slide out between wheel wheels of ranger pick up with cap. It slides partially out on a piece of carpet and gliders for tool access. I am trying to find an inexpensive method to make it into a gurney so tools will roll into customers garage.would save much setup time as I could have drills/drivers/battery chargers already set to go. TIA Frank

Reply to
frank roarty

Pick up a surplus ambulance gurney.

Gunner

"The British attitude is to treat society like a game preserve where a certain percentage of the 'antelope' are expected to be eaten by the "lions". Christopher Morton

Reply to
Gunner

Gunner, thought of that but would elevate platform too high making supply shelf across bed at cap level unusable. willing to employ a bike rack or hitch to carry device external but don't want to reinvent the wheel if there is already suitable device on market. folding dolley /cart? Even considered modifying my kids wagon which has 12 inch air tires to the task but is really too low.

Reply to
frank roarty

Hey Frank,

Slide on down to the local ambulance garage or funeral home back lot and see how their's work. I myself do not know how it works, but I have certainly seen them unload the empty and reload with a body, (warm or cold) all done by one reasonable sized and trained person.

I've also seen a sliding drawer type rack on service vehicles, but they only travel about 4 feet and they don't "come right out", and they do use up a lot of floor space in the bed.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Hi,I have a 6'x 40" particle board slide out between wheel wheels of

Reply to
Brian Lawson

The slide out gurneys or presentation tables - have folding legs.

The front set fold back and under the center of the unit. Then the back set folds under the hand hold set as you push it in... The two are linked together with a stabilizing bar that goes between the two H frame legs. Naturally four large diameter wheels help stepping over minor bumps here and there.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

If you go to the ambulance or funeral home to see - take a digital camera and take frames and movie if they let you. That will show how it functions later.

In the bed there is a clip that when fully installed, it snaps into. A T handle on ours (presentation cart) (computers...scopes....) in the handle pull and it releases the catch - oh the front was a hook like two C's and the back by the handle is the latching bracket.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

Thanks for all the help. I went with only 2 wheels (on the ground) to simplify the design. I use a tilt and dolley procedure to wheel it into garage. I put 4 short wide dual appliance casters underneath the particle board "slide out bed" and bought a $149 worksite power equipment table sold at Home Depot. I lagged a couple 2x4's across it and then took 2 angle irons perpindicular extending forward like a fork lift with 2

6" lawn mower wheels atttached at front of "forks" via carridge bolts and reinforced it with an additional cross iron near front to keep fork/wheels from bowing outward when particle board is on it. I bolted two strap handles to underside of particle board to pull it out of bed and beyond tail gate so I can roll the modified table under it. The table surface and legs as purchased are and remain collapsable. I roll the table into position with the fork wheels under particle board. pull the pin to unfold the rear legs which won't reach the ground as fork wheels are keeping device tilted forward, then step down on the cross bar of newley extended legs which drives the mower wheels into the belly of the particle board and allows me to roll the board out of the truck using the straps mentioned above. I found the handle of worksite table prevents board from sliding as far back as desired but 2 narrow channels 6 inch deep into particle board resolved this. I also cut down and placed folding banquet table legs at far end so particle board can be leveled, otherwise it will topple forward first time you place something heavy at rear. I can now "roll"onto work site and with one extension cord have all my tools set up plugged in and charging. I do lose some room at front to store and transport the colapsable table but am waitng for some inspiration to suspend it above.
Reply to
frank roarty

Hey Frank,

Sounds good and interesting. How about posting a photo or sketch to the drop-box?

Take care.

Brian Laws>Thanks for all the help. I went with only 2 wheels (on the ground) to

Reply to
Brian Lawson