Work Stops

I'm stuffed with turkey, but got in the shop anyway, and finished up a half-dozen teenuts to fit my Logan 8" shaper and Hardinge TM. I used the Logan to cut the profile. I used the design with an extra tapped hole for a setscrew to locate the teenut. It was a good exercise in tool grinding, since I was using A36 mild steel, and the finish was pretty bad at first. It still ain't great, but they're teenuts.

Does anybody have a good design for work stops? I want to make some for the shaper. How about an inverted teenut, body drilled instead of tapped, maybe counterbored for a socket head cap screw? It would be nice to build in some side clamping force, but I suspect that's too ambitious.

Thanks for your input.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

OK, so I'd better not work as a newspaperman. Anybody got any ideas for work stops?

Thanks.

Pete >I'm stuffed with turkey, but got in the shop anyway, and finished up a

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

At the moment I just use a piece of 1/4-3/8 plate held down with a caphead screw to a teenut. I push the teenut against the work with a piece of rod along the T slot while tightening the screw.

One of these decades I'll make something better....

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

OK, I was having fun, and went ahead. I made a half dozen teenuts and a half dozen work stops. Sorry, I forgot to use hard returns on the text file.

Link below:

I finished the ends on the stops by putting all six in the shaper vise at once. It worked well.

Pete

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

Nice work!

Looking at your stops with the locking screws has given me an idea about the side clamping issue.

The obvious way would be to make the top part slide down a ramp on the bottom part, but a less obvious way might be better and is ideal for manufacture on a shaper.. Use multiple ramps.

Usual low quality ascii art, best viewed with a fixed pitch font.

This side clamping locking to work bolt screw

|=========| |===============| | | | | |/|/|/|/|/| |/|/|/|/|/|/|/|/|

/|/|/|/|/| /|/|/| |/|/|/| | | | | | | |_________| |_____| |_____|

I just checked my shaper and found that the maximum horizontal feed per stroke is a bit over 0.30". With a 60degree slope on the teeth, a height of 40 or 50 thou would be achievable for the teeth. The clamping bolt hole would either be milled as a slot or drilled oversize. A brass or bronze washer would be used under the clamping bolt to reduce friction. Once the position of the stop had been fixed with the locking screw, the clamping bolt could pull the stop down and, in the process, tighten it against the work.

The teeth would prevent rotation of the tops of the stops. I don't know whether this would be a good or a bad thing.

I might try making some to see if they work.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Interesting idea, and doable. Please post your results and pictures.

Thanks,

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III