What is this "Mystery Item"?

Scroll down the the very bottom.

Any ideas? BF and I were sitting here puzzling over it, when I read the "bloody diffucult" bit out (he wasn't sitting close enough to the computer to read it). A couple of minutes later I looked over at him and I said, "are you thinking of surgical uses for that thing too?" ick :P

Reply to
chem

Blood Letting!

What do I win?

Reply to
RellikJM

Eh, a wind-up pace maker from the 1700's?

Artemia Salina

At first I thoutght it was some kind of small mechanical calculator, but I am thinking now it is for setting surgical staples.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hi Chem !!!

Me thinks......................

Its a wind up music box.

I'm surprised DoN didnt figger that one out before I stumbled upon it........fellow free reed player and all.......

Reply to
"PrecisionMachinisT"

I recognized the scarificator from the movie "Sharpe's Company", in which it was used on the arm of the foppish CO.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Oh, wait! It's a Bic pen cap!!

Artemia Salina

Eww. :) You win my congrats. And once again, eww. That page is a little gross to be reading before my first coffee (not good with blood... at all). Guess I asked for it though. :)

chem

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Reply to
chem

Phlebotomy.

Many people _still_ discover this by handling one and turning the handle, not by looking at a picture. Yuck.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 08:24:37 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler brought forth from the murky depths:

I've already sent in my winning guess. It's a wind-up palm dicer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- A PSYCHOLOGIST looks at everyone -else- ||

an attractive woman enters the room. || Full Website Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I had seen something that looked like this in a museum once. It was a wind up blood lancet. In the days when people believed that draining blood from the patient helped, they would pierce the arms and let blood out. The windup key is on one side, and the lancets shoot out the other when a button is pressed. Maybe this is why there are no protrusions out of the slots on the left. If it is a bleeder, the knives would be a dead giveaway.

I don't really 100% think this is what it is because of the plating, but it does look very similar to that item I saw in the museum.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I emailed the guy from that page last night before I posted the address here and received a reply from him today saying that, yes, it's a blood letter, and that he had received a correct answer from Canada yesterday.

chem

Larry Jaques wrote:

Reply to
chem

I got it right, then.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 19:10:47 -0400, chem brought forth from the murky depths:

I got an email from a guy who had tried to figure out the item in the way I described it being used (jokingly) and it did the slice and dice to his poor palm. He said it was my turn to post a mystery item. I'll check my shop tomorrow. I've collected odd and sundry old tools which might be a good mystery.

Carry on!

----------------------------------------------------------------------- A PSYCHOLOGIST looks at everyone -else- ||

an attractive woman enters the room. || Full Website Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yessir, you did. :)

chem

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
chem

Let us know when he puts your mystery item on the webpage. :)

chem

Larry Jaques wrote:

Reply to
chem

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:47:23 -0400, chem brought forth from the murky depths:

Will do.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques