South Bend cross slide repairs

I'm doing some work on my South Bend "Heavy 10" cross slide. I noticed that the oil hole that lubes one of the feed screw bearings is not aligned with the hole on the feed screw assembly. When the feed screw assembly is tightened it is misaligned as shown by the orange dot in the photo. My first instinct is to cut a shim and place it between the cross slide body and the feed screw assembly making sure the shim thickness provides alignment. I could redrill the oil hole but I don't want to weaken the part plus it could get out of alignment again. Does a shim seem like the best fix?

afdr9lk

I believe the oil will flow into the groove and find its way into the hole. Southbend thought of that already.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I saw that groove but it looked like it was created by some idiot taking out the feed screw with the set screw ran down into the nut. Are you telling me all of them have that groove?

Reply to
afdr9lk

Reply to
Tony

Yeah it's the oil hole plug. I just got it not too long ago but someone had run that plug down into the compound rest bushing and then tried to unscrew the bushing. It dug a deep groove around it in the existing groove and that is why I questioned it being there originally. Unfortunately it weakened the bushing caused it to break when I screwed it back in. Now I have a big problem.

Reply to
afdr9lk