South Bend cross slide repairs

I'm doing some work on my South Bend "Heavy 10" cross
slide. I noticed that the oil hole that lubes one of
the feed screw bearings is not aligned with the hole
on the feed screw assembly. When the feed screw
assembly is tightened it is misaligned as shown by
the orange dot in the photo. My first instinct is
to cut a shim and place it between the cross slide
body and the feed screw assembly making sure the
shim thickness provides alignment. I could redrill
the oil hole but I don't want to weaken the part
plus it could get out of alignment again. Does
a shim seem like the best fix?

afdr9lk
I believe the oil will flow into the groove and find its way into the hole. Southbend thought of that already.
Tony
Reply to
Tony
I saw that groove but it looked like it was created by some idiot taking out the feed screw with the set screw ran down into the nut. Are you telling me all of them have that groove?
Reply to
afdr9lk
Don't recall there being a set screw there, isn't it the oil hole plug? At any rate the groove is there for a reason.
Tony
Reply to
Tony
Yeah it's the oil hole plug. I just got it not too long ago but someone had run that plug down into the compound rest bushing and then tried to unscrew the bushing. It dug a deep groove around it in the existing groove and that is why I questioned it being there originally. Unfortunately it weakened the bushing caused it to break when I screwed it back in. Now I have a big problem.
Reply to
afdr9lk