South Bend cross slide thrust bearing source?

I have a South Bend "Heavy 10" and one of the thrust bearings in the cross slide is shot. Anyone have a source for these? I'd probably replace both if I can find some.

Reply to
afdr9lk

I just took the worn out bearing to the local bearing/motor repair shop and they were able to fix me right up.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School

643 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

Did it take up much lash?

Reply to
ATP*

Go to your local bearing distributor that handles INA bearings. INA makes the flat thrust bearings.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

In my experience the new thrust bearing did nothing for the backlash problem What did help was a new screw and nut for the cross slide. Not being able to afford S.B. prices I fixed several lathes in the following manner:

Hope this is of use to someone!

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School

643 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society

Errol Groff

I can't answer for him but I bet that most of the play comes from a worn nut on the cross feed screw. Unless they were really trashed.

Reply to
afdr9lk