cut off disk shaft ?

i havee a very powerful hand grinder with 1/4 " collett--i want to use a cutoff disk 3" in diameter--it has a 1/4" hole--where can i get the correct shaft etc to do this and what should i ask for?

tia peter

Reply to
ilaboo

I got mine at a NAPA auto parts store but they should be available wherever pneumatic tools are sold.

Reply to
RAM^3

"ilaboo" wrote: i havee a very powerful hand grinder with 1/4 " collett--i want to use a cutoff disk 3" in diameter (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I guess you're talking about a toolroom grinder. ^They generally don't have a guard, so be sure to wear eye protection. Those thin cutoff wheels break easily.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Call it what you already have. They'll understand; it's not like we all use the same title for the same thing. I usually call them cutoff wheels, and call the shaft a cutoff wheel shaft. Be sure to specify what shaft size the collet is as well as the wheel hole size, there's a couple different sizes, although I'm starting to think that there's some sort of relation to the max speed and the hole size, but never looked into it.

Reply to
carl mciver

Surgical supply house ... who else would grind hands? (ducking...)

Ask for a mandrel with 1/4" shaft that will mount wheels with 1/4" holes. You might also want to get one that fit the more readily-available 3" wheels with 3/8" holes.

If you have a friend with a lathe, it only takes about 15 minutes to make something like that. All of my various mandrels are shop-made.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Be sure the wheels you use are rated for the RPM rating of the grinder. I have some wheels rated for 15,000 RPM and a MET grinder that turns 25,000. I keep these on opposite sides of the shop. Tom

I've done it on occasion. got the scars to prove it.

Reply to
Tom Wait

The packages I see are usually labeled "Cutting wheel arbor 1/4in" or something like that.

Reply to
B.B.