Shaft mounted drill chuck?

I bought a used Fisher Scientific overhead lab mixer. The mixer motor is a rebranded Bodine gear motor with a direct drive output shaft and a gear reduced output shaft. The mixer came without a drill chuck.

Each shaft is .315 "inch (5/16") diameter by 1" L . I want to mount a 3/8 or so drill chuck on the direct drive shaft without adding too much length.

Originally these mixers were equipped with a shaft mounted chuck held in place with setscrews.

I don't know what the chucks are called so my searches come up with all kinds of taper mounts. Does anyone know what these chucks are called and where I might buy one.

The chuck needsto be hobby grade.

Thanks in advance


Reply to
Russ Meredith
Loading thread data ...

Hobby grade, no... But you can probably get a jacob's taper mount chuck, press the taper in and/or weld it in if you are really careful and then drill it out for the shaft. If it's a collet-style chuck, you can then drill and add set screws but make sure you put flats on the shaft or you may never get it off...

Total cost is probably $200 though so I'm betting it is too expensive.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.