Motor shaft mounted chuck

I bought a used Fisher Scientific overhead lab mixer. The mixer motor is a rebranded Bodine gear motor with a direct drive output shaft and a gear reduced output shaft. The mixer came without a drill chuck.

Each shaft is .315 "inch (5/16") diameter by 1" L . I want to mount a 3/8 or so drill chuck on the direct drive shaft without adding too much length.

Originally these mixers were equipped with a shaft mounted chuck held in place with setscrews.

I don't know what the chucks are called so my searches come up with all kinds of taper mounts. Does anyone know what these chucks are called and where I might buy one.

The chuck needsto be hobby grade.

Thanks in advance

Russ

Reply to
Russ Meredith

I know what you mean but I haven't seen the chucks separately. Do you have the equipment and ability to adapt a common 1/2-20 mount chuck with an adapter made from a bolt?

Chuck a short bolt in a lathe and drill it lengthwise 5/16" or 8mm. Cross-drill and tap the head for the setscrew. Shorten the threaded end until the bolt head seats on the back of the chuck. You might be able to do this well enough for a mixer on a drill press.

I can't think of a simple, cheap way to attach a smaller chuck. The root diameter of a 3/8-24 thread is only slightly larger than 0.315". You could drill out the chuck threads and make an adapter with shallow threads to match if you have a lathe. A Morse 0 chuck could be drilled out to 0.315" but they aren't cheap and you might have to turn down the stirrer shafts to fit into them.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You could try McMaster-Carr

catalog # 43555A22 motor shaft adapter, which will give you 3/8-24 thread, then an inexpensive threaded mount chuck, like # 3094A13

Reply to
Bob's my cat

You can get a replacement from Fisher or VWR, or easily make an adapter if you have a lathe and a used chuck. I don't know the cost of the chucks used, but they are pretty cheesy. If you only have to mount one mixer shaft, you'll get more concentric running by just turning a rigid coupling to fit both shafts.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Jim Wilkins sez: "whole bunch of stuff" . Why complicate the guy's life with a bunch of drill press procedure?. Just tell him to buy a set of Dremel tools and take the little chuck and attach it with JB Weld. Scheeeesh !

Bob Swinney

[...]

Robert Swinney

ife with a bunch of drill

he little chuck and attach

I was looking at a Dremel chuck and a larger chuck with a 1/4-20 mount, There isn't enough room to drill for a setscrew without removing the shell, and I'm not going to disassemble mine just to write it up.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'd get a 3/8" keyed chuck with 3/8-16 or 3/8-24 threaded mount, about $12 to $15 at Enco. Then make an adaptor out of 3/4" round barstock with suitable threads on one end and a 5/16" or .315 (or whatever) hole and setscrew(s) on the other. It'd add maybe 3/4" to 1" of length.

Anyone with a lathe could make this for you in a few minutes. I'd do it for a sixpack.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thanks for all the good advice. One of your own is making a shaft mounted chuck for me. This is better then McMaster Car or Enco.

Russ

Reply to
Russ Meredith