Mounted the knee motor

The picture is here:

I mounted the knee gear motor, with the encoder on it.

All other pictures:

The motor basically hangs on the knee in a vertical position, and is kept in one angular position by a brace, made up of steel angle and a steel flat.

I tried running it from just a DC power supply, and it does run just fine, moving the knee up and down, at least with pneumatic assist.

So, the next task is to put one more servo drive inside the cabinet, which is a pain in the butt. I also need to route power and encoder cable, which is also a pain due to needing to drill an extra hole in the enclosure. I am afraid that drilling chips may short some piece of electronics.

Ignoramus15145

Make a cup out of duct tape and stick it inside the box to catch any chips. Or, you could put a generous layer of grease on the drill bit to pick up the chips.

Reply to
rangerssuck

rangerssuck fired this volley in news:65b0ce59- snipped-for-privacy@n16g2000prc.googlegroups.com:

Or you can drill through a wad a plasticine (modeling clay). Common trick.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Cheap $15 round hole chassis punch will do it. I bought some & use them for other jobs too.

Reply to
Dennis

Mount it in a separate enclosure then.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

:Xns9E98BC75A214Alloydspmindspringcom@216.168.3.70...

But the punch needs a hole to start in.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I want, to the extent possible, things to be neat and workmanlike.

Ignoramus15145

That's a smart idea.

Ignoramus15145

HF sells a hydraulic punch/driver set that can be had for ~$70 or so on sale / coupon. You still need to drill a pilot hole for the punch driver and can use clay, magnets or a shop vac to catch chips from that, but after that you can punch nice clean holes up through 2"+ size with ease. I've used the $800+ Greenlee hydraulic punch drivers and the HF one works just as well.

Reply to
Pete C.

Pete, which HF item number are you referring to? I will definitely get it.

Ignoramus31412

I'll bet the hydraulic set is nice.

That said, let me warn you about the -manual- punch set. The dies must have been made in Taiwan and the screw in China, because the interface was so loose, the die wobbled 3/16". Upon first use, it stripped out at about 15in/lbs, before I even got a dent in the workpiece metal.

-=AVOID!=-

I found a used Greenlee pair on eBay for $18 (2 sizes plus leather pouch) which did the trick the first time.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just wondering, what about driving the knee up and down with a power supply and reversing contactor. It won't position real accurate but the error could be taken care of with Z axis coordinate offset. It seems as long as you could read the position accurately you wouldn't have to position both knee and quill accurately. If the knee positions a little off, the quill could compensate. It would save you a drive and installation maybe.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

As do I--and especially I dislike crowded enclosures.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Also recommended is:

I'll note on the crimper that the dies are simple rectangles of steel with locating pins threaded into the back and both halves of the die set are identical, making it very easy to make your own custom dies.

Reply to
Pete C.

Also recommended is:

I'll note on the crimper that the dies are simple rectangles of steel with locating pins threaded into the back and both halves of the die set are identical, making it very easy to make your own custom dies.

Reply to
Pete C.

That works.

Well, what I know by now is that the drive works just fine.

Furthermore, with the motor connected to PPMC DAC output number 3 (fourth), if I set ppmc.0.DAC.3 to +10, -10, or 0, the knee moves as expected.

What I have yet to make work correctly, is to make EMC output to DAC 3 when a change in W is commanded. I thought that I did everything right for it to do that, but it does not yet work.

Ignoramus28206

And reported position is displayed accordingly.

Reply to
Ignoramus28206