Shizuoka ST-N *before* retrofit work starts!

Photos:

Manual pages showing spec of motors and drives etc:
First job is to find a servo drive to test the motors. If all is well with these, then I can move along......

JB

Reply to
JB

Looks like a nice, used machine. Congrats.

You can use any DC power source to test the motors. Examples are a car battery, car battery charger, etc.

Ignoramus16274

you need to put a skirt on the Y axis before you use any kind of coolant or make chips.

Reply to
Ignoramus16274

Yes we will. The rubber got ripped off when we fitted the sling for lifting it onto the truck.

JB

Reply to
JB

I'll try my big 0-30VDC 4A lab PSU then I think. Thanks again.

JB

Reply to
JB

Man, that big beefy machine with those box ways make me GWE.

You can have some fun with the bird's nest. Rip it all out. You may re use a bit but its actually easier to start with an empty box. That way you can have a nice component layout.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Start with a low voltage -- it will accelerate *fast* with full voltage and current, and you might not get it stopped before it hits the stops.

And you say four brushes. Typically, two are heavy duty ones (or have heavy duty wires running to them) and the other two (at right angles to the first two) are lighter. They are where the tach feedback pickoff brushes, and probably should not get much current to allow for clean pickoff of the tach feedback signals.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

:>)

That's the plan. Strip it all out and start afresh. I'll update on progress as time allows. cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

Good advice! These are big motors.

I'll look into this when i detach all of the wiring next week. cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

Man oh man.....that is a "brick sh**house" of a mill. Beautiful machine with great potential after the rebuild.

You say your friend "gave" you that mill and it had only been used to mill some plastics? That is a great friend, because that machine is a real Cadillac.

Please keep the pictures of your progress comming. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

No, generally, these are 4-pole motors, they use all 4 brushes for the power armature. Electrocraft made their "motomatic" that had a tach winding with a separate commutator on the other end of the armature, but the power and tach windings were in the same slots.

But, I've never seen a motomatic on a servo-driven machine tool. I think you will find the brushes exactly opposite each other are connected together, and the other pair also connected.

I've never seen anything with tach and power brushes on the same commutator.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Indeed. It does seem to hacked out of the solid! I do like overengineered things. I ride a Moto Guzzi. Enough said.

Yp. He gave me the machine as it was just too large for his home garage. He got it given to him by another guy on our motorcycle newsgroup who runs a plastics laser cutting and fabrication company.

Will do. Servo testing next week. Then ripping out the old wiring/controls. cheers,

JB

Reply to
JB

Agreed. Looking at the conductor diameters, these are _not_ tacho wires. I'll post some photos next week. cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

You will be able to make huge sized cuts with high accuracy and very minimal chatter in really tough materials like cast iron judging by the rigidity of construction of that machine. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

O.K. You are correct. My motors are SEM (Small Electric Motors), and I never saw any extra brushes for the tach -- so I just visited their site and downloaded the service manual (among other things), and find that the tach brushes are hiding behind the encoder.

I also discovered that these particular motors can be disassembled without losing magnetic strength.

As they are. Thank you!

I did sort of wonder about this -- but in the absence of other visible brushes, I jumped to an incorrect conclusion.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

They are inside the motor, I have a picture of them on my website.

Ignoramus858
[ ... ]

As the drawings in the downloaded service manual shows.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols