Servo drive spec for EMC2 use

Having now tested my servos on the Shizuoka and found all working, I now need to spec some servo drives. If I understand correctly, EMC can output from the PC, (via a D/A card?), the necessary +/_10V analogue control signals for the servo drive. Would then these be suitable assuming that the rating is suited for my motor volts/current?

'll look into the encoders later this week. Many thanks. JB

Reply to
JB

I'd suggest AMC servo amps off eBay. They go real cheap, but I don't see any deals at the moment

If you don't want to wait for a deal, I'd sell you some of mine. If you need screaming fast rapids and super fast acceleration, give me your max motor amps and volts. If not, there's many amps that will do.

Read up on servo amps on the AMC website.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

here's a deal if 80 volts and 30 amps is enough.

Karl Townsend

I wouldn't pay this much. But, here's a nice layout of power supply and amps just like you need.

Karl Townsend

PMD60 or DCD60 10/20 or 14/28 should work pretty well.

I have AMC 30A8 on all my five axes. They are similar to those

14/28. And they work great. Just a data point. i
Reply to
Ignoramus1540

Here's two good ones

Give mystore2013 an offer for five for $27 each.

Ignoramus1540

The price sucks, but it is a compact unit, exactly what you need, can save you a couple of days of work and the cost of the transformer.

Ignoramus1540

It seems to indicate it is a brushless servo amp, i.e. AC servo amp, so the price would be expected to be higher than a DC amp.

Reply to
Pete C.

As it's the frim which will be buying these servo drives, I have to go to VAT registered firm who can provide invoices, warranty etc. On the control side, I may have to purchase directly from Pico in the US as I don't see any European distributors for this kit. What I'm trying to do is spec a system which others have already got working ok with Linux/EMC2. I don't know Linux, so I really don't want hassle with device drivers. Nice to see the 3 main axes move under their own though :>) Cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

Thanks for your help Karl, but see my reply to Iggy below. Also, my servos are DC brushed type. Cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

great point!

You can use a brushless drive for a DC brushed motor, but why?

Ignoramus1540

>> I'll look into the encoders later this week.

Congrats on getting the axes to move!

I have been very satisfied with this pico system, it does everything that I want and I can concentrate on what I can do best -- which is wiring and troubleshooting -- as opposed to screwing around with a soldering iron. Jon's support has been good to date. It is also extensible, as you can add more encoders, more D/A converters, etc. I am already using input from six encoders, for example, and may add one more.

Ignoramus1540

One small reminder of a fact of which I am sure you are aware: Be sure to clean the ways up with some 3M scratch pads or something suitable before you traverse the table too far or too many times. You don't want to scar the ways up on your beautiful machine. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

Looks pretty good -- as long as 60 VDC is sufficient to get the full motor RPM. (Or as long as you can live with the lower RPM for the lower voltage.) Mine want 100 V maximum FWIW -- and current available will determine acceleration.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Except that particular one is for brushless motors -- and he saw brush caps.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I do not personally need a very high speed for rapid movements. 60 IPM is plenty perfect for me. My mill (140v servos) was originally capable of 200 IPM rapids, but I keep it at 60 IPM. I feel safer and more in control. 200 IPM rapids would probably save me an hour of machining time over my lifetime, and would surely cost me some ruined tools, vises, and possibly worse.

Ignoramus1540

I've bought brushless AMC amps when the price was right on eBay. Just set one dip switch to 60 degrees (vs. 120 degrees) and use them on a brushed servo.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend