Working of Electrical Motors ?

I want to learn basics of Electrical Motors (AC & DC). is there any website having simulations showing inside of motors and how these work ? where on internet, can i find good sites to learn about special types of motors (stepper, servo etc) and drives ? thanks for reading this.

Reply to
nave

there any

these work

special

highlight the 'web' tab on the top left of the box.

then enter various combinations of the key words you mentioned.... search the hits for relevant information... take note of any other key words that come up in the articles, then add those to your search list.

focus on articles issued from Universities, or major manufacturers... there will be thousands of articles to read...many with complete diagrams. Start with the shorter simpler ones first...as you gain knowledge read the more complex articles. Take anything else with a grain of salt.

If you run into 'free energy sites' look for the logical falacies in them... that will be educational.

You may wish to add the term 'controls' 'servo' to your key word list.

Focus on articles that decribe the actual physics behind how motors work (electro magnetic pull on a segmented iron rotor sort of thing)... and if you can find a description of the physics of electo magnetism (still not understood to its base levels yet.) look into that.

Read articles that just state the mathematics etc later.... if you get into designing your own motors or into extensive trouble shooting then you need that.

Its necessary to understand the broader physics first, in many areas...

Electricity is a sub category of physics. Many EE's it seems got insufficient training in physics, then were taught electricity out of that context so had not come to understand the mass flow aspects. (separating electrons from mass considerations for instance, even though elecrons are a key part of the mass of any atom)

...and for instance separating pure potential (voltage) from the physical material (amperage) founding it. (its a build up of electrons, amperage, that creates the pressure (voltage).... this as obvious as it is, is seldom understood by even EE's in the business as evidenced by recent spate of posts on the topic.... even to ludicrous levels...

....and its common even carried into some texts...for instance one high school text used on PBS special on electricity stated more or less correctly that current ran outside of its conductor wire,,,, then said that the current runs in the insulation.... then showed two insulated wires tied together in a knot as a good way to splice a wire. (via the insulation)

The kiddies then remain forever screwed up.

These screw ups are rooted in studying a sub class of physics (electricity in this example) with no clue on its mother subject... an understanding of the 'periodic chart of the atoms' and basic chemistry for example reveals the nature of displaceable electrons in the outer orbits of atoms.. (valence issues if you want to do a search) ...and that conductive elements, such as copper, and some other metals have easily displaceable electrons in their out shells to afford conductance of electrons from one atom to another...and this happens of course in and around the metal...not the insulator. Insulators being material without free easily displacable electrons.

The person who wrote the electriciy text for the kiddies obviously had no clue in chemistry or physics or would not have made such a gross error. This is just one example.

Today in the USA, our beginning college students rank 38th in the world behind Shri Lanka (a hut dwelling society in the south pacific) in math and science.

If you are to do truly well for yourself and advance personally you will need to rise above this level of confusion so amply demonstrated by such as the Challenger and Columbia disasters (read the scathing congressional investigation reports) and the purely stunning level of bogus electrical control systems engineering we saw at the Denver Airport for example.

All of that is rooted in utter ignorance.. in these cases ignorance of the most rudimentary physics (and nodular logistics for the Denver Airport fiasco)...

On that basis I'd recommend a few basic physics for dummies type books before studying motors.... and that you come to a visceral grasp of the basics...not just a fuzzy concept, but real and personal comprehension of whats going on...until you can work easily with the material.

One tactic I have used over the years is to notice any given system and ask myself what are the physics involved in its operation...then when those are understood, which of those could be optimized to produce better performance... thats a good drill. In a few years you will find yourself doing real well.

.the basics alone if understood well will speed and improve your understanding of motors immensely and allow you to lead advance...not just be part of a team of idiots we saw so fully demonstrated in the above mentioned disasters (approx 80% common to one degree or another).

Reading the original NASA reports is revealing of this stunning level of intellectual corruption... they said "we knew a small bit of insulation could damage a tile badly but he did not know what a large chunk would do, so we let it go" Thats intellectual corruption beyond all comprehension. Yet such loopy logic is common today.

On the O ring failure they said "We knew that launching below

42 degrees resulted in shrunken O rings, burning and leaking hot gasses... we had no experience with what would happen launching at 34 degrees would do"

These are utter and complete proof of total intellectual corruption at NASA...I see similar every day in engineering offices nationally.... to insane levels...that NASA mess cost the lives of 14 astronauts... No faintest excuse what so ever for such utterly bogus lapses of insight and judgement.. those were the conclusions of the congressional investigating committee.

This has become standard idiocy now for huge sections of our engineering commumity.

One large industrial engineering firm I consulted actually thought they could replace 500 lb air impact wrenches, running on 126 psig compressed air lines to remove 1" studs from locomotive engine blocks .....with Black and decker electric screw drivers.... made for home owner use in driving screws (because it said 'high torque' on the box). When I challenged them they send 4 morons to california to look at a locomotive repair facility to see what they were using to remove head bolts.

amazin' ain't it? Such is very common though. Airforce One under supervision from an entire *team of EE's across the street from Boeing Military Air Craft in Wichita, ran the millivolt avionic wiring in the same wire chases as the 480 volt three phase landing gear and flaps wiring.... this was AFTER the error was pointed out to them during initial construction...

the plane had to be rewired before they could get it off the ground.... This is a fact..a few dozen of us witnessed it.. What was thier logic? 'the wires were INSULATED'... and 'the control wiring was 'shielded'. which it was... but no faint clue as to the mass flow characteristics of heavy current and the very light mass flow capabilities of the tin foil shielding material... and they did this against 50 years of experience in the industry that you cannot mix high voltage and control wiring even on the same side of the plane...much less in the same chases.

These sorts of utterly bogus notions are the rule these days...not the exception...they stem from a lack of basic education in math and physics, which found common sense in the engineering business.

We also in the US, seem to have the notion that lying is acceptable and that one can lie with impunity....thats also not true. However ignored entirely is that lying ruins the person telling the lies...it blinds him to his own error.

This gets messy.

Recently NASA did a study to determine why so many of its young engineers were dying of heart failure (early age

40's)..it found most had 'shredded heart muscle'...thats from stress. From 40 years experience now in the engineering business, the last 15 called in to debug these disasters, I have found that lying and then trying to defend the bogus notions, in the face of chain reacting error is what creates that stress.

The first thing I tell those I speak to (I do a range of engineering and management seminars) is that none of us, myself specifically included, has more than a 0.0001% grip on all there is to know or what ever will be known in our specialty areas.

In area's outside of our our specialties we know even less.

The most viable position then is to adopt a notion of total ignorance regardless what one thinks he knows, then he or she remains open to advance beyond his or her current situation...which in this stage of human development is just a faint notch above cave man levels as it will be seen just a few hundred years from now.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

Try this:

pbdelete

Problem is the system that let it slip..

What was the top ranking countries?

Management problem?

School slip.. (lowering standards)

Rewarded behaviour is what comes out. I saw an research report stateing that 25% of bosses have psycopathic tendencies. While 1-2% was. Power positions tend to attract them.

Stressed people tend to make worse decisions.

Reply to
pbdelete

instance

stated

together

insulation)

in

I have forgotten.. but probably Japan, china, and russia. with germany high on the list also.

confusion

Columbia

for

Yes,, but underlying management problems are educational problems across a broad spectrum...including short term thinking etc.

In that case primarily it was no practical experience with control systems engineering...they hired a bunch of theorists..in theory it was great.. in reality any controls tech sees 900 million relays or control nodes... he knows its trouble... when he sees that any one failing will take the entire system down he looks for other employment... only the desperate for a job stay...and they drive the mess totally ito the tank.... good controls engineers have both theory and years of practical experience... this crew didnt have that at the decision making level... they were arrogant about the potential for world class control and that feather in thier hat, without looking hard at the worst case scenario's and complexity of coping with failures. They did not see the value in isolated modular systems.. so that if one fails, the rest trucks onward... nor did they see that these tiny little gismo's. so precise... were almost worthless on old lady McGrady's knit suitcase...and other randomities not practially dealt with by the scheme they chose.

the

psycopathic

them.

Thats right. I got a call one day from a professor at the UC Davis Mind institute (Univerity of calif at Davis).. I had been posting my frustration that some people could not parse a commn argument.

We talked for hours. In summary there are two factors. The bonobo monkey gene, a groupie gene, rewarded by corporations... he goes along with the leader unthinkingly gets promoted. And the number of neurons and the number of dendron branches on each neuron in peoples brains.. Most folks have 3. One input and two outputs (a not so accurate functional definition).... Einsteins brain had thousands of dendron arms per neuron... he was a massively parallel computer able notice and process considerations etc thousands of times more completely than average humanity,

So those with maybe 4 or 5 or 500 dendron arms per neuron are frustrated by those with 3... these expect others to behave and think as we do... but they simply cant... the wiring is not in place to do so.... at that level its an either/ or universe...of very simple issues. A notch above its more grey with more options... above that may be too many neurons to cope rationally with an insane society.... above that is the brains to see life and these things for what they are and boogie forth in personal peace.

I was circling in the lower ranges when the kind gentleman called. His study lately is in the growing incidence of bonobo gene laden people infesting corporate culture... a movie the Yes Men is superb on that issue. also a movie 'the corporation'

.these groupie types have what a corporation needs in order to present a united front (the bonobo monkey surves well on that basis... the head money jumps up and down and scratchs its ass... they all do..)... so those are rewarded and produce more offspring with the same genetic tendencies.... entrepreneurial and revolutionalry genetic traits begin to fade. The forces that drive advance become muted.

from

creates

A lesson I could stand to learn a lot better.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

Those are the countries to prosper.. and the others to be enslaved as sweatshops. I guess. Any other ideas on good structural indicators on where the feature will good?

Any personal strategies to counter effects?

Iow, always keep options no matter what.

Monothinking, hit the emergency exit before it blows up =)

Then the question is when equilibrium is reached as in when the survival skills of the society will so impaired that development will go backwards. And where to go when that happens.

Reply to
pbdelete

enslaved

feature will good?

? It will be very much individual to the person now I believe and being smart enough to structure out of the income, cost of living, tax traps... for people that cant handle stress well, and few can in actuality...that mess destroys them sooner or later... a few can cope with that corruption. Most cant.

If you can arrange to live on your own schedule,with low living costs and overhead... you can stay healthy and stable without overworking and giving the money to a totally bloated and wasteful govt... its fatal...its going to be much more fatal very fast.

many chinese americans are moving to china now though...high tech pay in the US at say 70k for a certain job pays 25k in China,,,but the taxes and living costs are a tiny fraction and the net quality of living is much better,

The US govt and state govts with thier bloat are eating the substance of the nation like alien (in the movie).... if you dont work real hard, and live cheaply, you can drop below most of the direct taxes.... the indirect taxes still nail you though and the high cost of living due to having to pay so much for goods because these producers are paying out their income in taxes...passed on to you.

A small farm in the woods near a good fishing and game with a small town nearby for some side work income...is going to be nervana for some folks. Some old folks will join forces to work a small operation...and tend to each other.. all below the tax horizons.

the man working to feed and support a familily, is in the final analysis the nations only real income source...these will be taxed to near extinction... a saving graces is a looming near total dirth of medium to high end technical and trade talent... those will be able to name thier price (then the govt will tax them to ruin regardless...but still these will have it the 'best')

Im heading for a small place in the woods near good fishing and friends with gardents to tend.

educational

I am finding limited options in working with intellectually corrupt idiots...these are in the end not viably penetrable and will drive one to nervous ruin.... only the very mellow can cope in that environment... those do well. Us high ballers dont.

... self employment is the best Ive found so far...or civil service that I think ruins the soul.,.. but it can be low stress ..as it leaches the blood of actually productive working america. Being a civil servant is largely not productive its a parasitic situation. you might find

interesting in these regards.

with

its

the

ito

ya... these guys had no faintest clue about that entire set of notions...utterly alien to them..

at

the

little

practially

the ignorance level in the US is going balistic as the systems have become grossly more complex and the baby boom techs, already inadequate in number and skills are retiring... the low riders and rappers are not able to pick up that slack.

One thinks that somehow they must be repaired..but not so... a look at third world countries and our rust belt shows that it can just be allowed to rot...and thats whats happening as the solutions, quality talent is being driven out the market by various management idiocy...

An old theory states that there is an optimal size for any organization or govt etc...beyond that size it becomes unmanagable, goes out of control and self destructs... there were no limits built in for the size of a nation...so they reach that critical mass...then self destruct.... there are other factors also as Ive mentioned...the 5 or 6 generation life cycle of a nation.

To see how to survive in that case study third world nations and nations at stages of those cycles in the past...most EU nations for instance...you will see what they do.. its not always entirely pretty...but it is viable more or less.

attract

at

The

of

folks

thousands

are

grey

the

that

the survival

go backwards.

thats about it...we are at that cusp now..and headed across the threshold... this not a future thing...but a now thing... some in established and vital corporations and govt will not even notice a glitch...but those are corrupt environments..they tend to sap the life out of people.

the rest of us will have to learn how to fend off govt in order to survive...that will be exiting... I will be doing my part in those regards... the next conflict will be between civil servants and those they are riding into the ground with over taxation...in the end its the producer who will prevail but not before it goes totally south and there is no money at all to pay civil service.... then it will self correct... that will take 50 to 100 years.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

"Phil Scott" Phil Scott

Deleted the drivel that PS fills too too many news groups with.

Phil, Please get a life and stop filling the news group world with your worthless rantings.

Did you wife leave you or why else have you got so much time to type drivel in various news groups

If only Back EMF would repel you (No, Reject you.).

Reply to
John G