Electric motor choosing

Hi. Could anybody suggest about sites where can I start study linear motion system design. I'm looking for information about design outline of linear motion system. Another issue interesting me is routine of choice of electrical motor. For which application can I choose servo or step motor, AC or DC etc. So I'm looking for outline for design linear motion system with calculation examples. Quick answer will be appreciate.

Reply to
doctorf72

I don't know about sites (did you try Google?), but choosing a motor is greatly dependent on the application.

AC motors: Good for constant speed applications, think machine tools. In order to vary the speed, drivers can get expensive.

DC servo motors: Speed and Position control applications. Relatively cheap drivers.

Linear motors: Excellent for linear motion where accuracy is very important. Integrated linear guides and motors. Motors and drivers very costly.

Stepper motors: Good for open loop control. Low cost. Cheap drivers. Possibility of losing steps (and therefore position of affecter) due to disturbance loads.

For linear motion, servo and stepper motors will need a system for converting rotational to linear motion. This can take the form of power screws, belts, gears, etc. This will be the most critical part of the system. If this subsystem is not designed well, the effort put into controlling the motor will be for naught.

Are you designing a system with limited funds? Will you have components made or are you going to use off the shelf parts? If accuracy is not critical, a lead screw and a stepper motor is a very effective combination.

I hope this helps.

Reply to
Matthew Douglas Rogge

Try