Trimming Mashima Motor Shaft

I'm building a Comet replacement chassis for my Airfix 4F 0-6-0, using Comet's recommended Mashima 1620 motor together with their GB1 gearbox fitted to the centre axle with the motor mounted vertically into the Firebox.

Trying the motor/gearbox assembly for fit with the body, it would appear that I need to remove or shorten the motor shaft from one side of the motor. I've never done that before, how do you go about it?

Any tips much appreciated.

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy

Dremmel type thingy with a small slitting disc...finish with a very fine grinding wheel.

Reply to
turbo

Not forgetting to hold the motor armature stationary whilst doing so - or you'll spend all year trying to cut the shaft !....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"turbo" wrote

Done carefully, because this process can generate LOTS of heat and could unsolder some of the components inside the motor.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

and also IMPORTANT

SAFETY GLASSES when using cut-off wheels!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

......and cover it all over with tape to prevent grot going where it ought not.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Steve wrote in >Message-id:

I used a slitting disc in a 12v drill to trim the shaft. Motor/gearbox assembly now fits snugly.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy